Home

Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Why I wrote Murder and Mint Tea by Janet Lane Walters #MFRWAuthor ##BWLAuthor #writing #mystery

 I started writing short stories and had some success with them. And So We Walk on Eggshells was the original title for Murder and Mint Tea. The first rejection I recieved for the story stated that this sounded like the synopsis for a novel. I never had even tried to attempt a novel. I knew there were differences between the two. We were living in Pawnee, Oklahoma where my husband was the doctor at the Indian hospital. When we went to Stillwater for groceries at the commisary, I went to the library there and borrowed books on writing novels. Thus began my exploration of writing novels. I'd always been a story teller since as a child this was one way in the evening the neighborhood children spent their time. WW2 was on us and we lived in Pittsburgh known for steelmills. Story telling verbally is different from writing the story down. I must have read twenty books, some good and some not good about writing novels. Then I began to write Murder and MInt Tea. For this first book, a year passed and I began sending it out and received many rejectionss. In those days editors would reject with comments and this was how I really learned to write novels. My thanks to the editors who took the time to show me how to write a book that people would enjoy. In 1998 Murder and Mint Tea was published. The reviews were great andI was off and running. Today Murder andMint Tea continues to sell and bring royalties to me. Persistance is what I used to become a writer.

1 comment:

Tina Donahue said...

Good for you, Janet, for pursuing your dream of writing. :)