Home

Monday, October 14, 2024

Learning the Basics and a Fun Medical Romance!

 Recently, I overhead two people debating whether children in middle school should have assigned homework. One argued that it built good habits and prepared them for high school and post-secondary education. The other argued that young people needed time to pursue interests and to play sports and participate in other extracurricular activities. Having raised 3 boys, I sit firmly in the “give-them-time-to-do-other-things” camp. Starting homework in high school is soon enough. I believe every child should read or be read to every day, but beyond that, there are so many things they could spend time learning that aren’t covered in a school curriculum. Like how to: 

sew a button on or hem

iron

fold laundry

choose fruit/vegetables/cuts of meat and read food labels

prepare a simple meal

use a knife

set a table

make dinner conversation

create a budget

do simple household tasks like changing a light bulb or replacing the furnace filter

write a cheque, transfer funds, manage a credit card

make music

lose gracefully at a board game

play bridge or euchre

use a library card


This is just to name a few. I realize that they could do homework and accomplish these things, but the days are short and everyone is tired by evening. Getting outside or learning a skill together, in my opinion, is a better use of time and will foster strong relationships. And that is the key for success in the future. Do you agree? Leave a comment.

 

If you’re looking for a great book to fill your evening, Perfectly Reasonable, the second book in the Perfectly Series, is a fun stand-alone medical humorous romance. 

 

Perfectly Reasonable by Linda O’Connor



 

Love what you do and do what you love.  Sounds perfectly reasonable, but chances are, you’ll find your passion in the last place you look . . .

 

Margo MacMillan finished medical school, but in the process, her self-confidence and self-esteem took a beating. So for the sake of self-preservation, she’s stepped away from medicine to re-group. In the meantime, painting soothes her soul and pays the bills. 

 

Trace Bennett set his sights on a medical degree and has to prepare the perfect medical school application. His big plan is to paint his condo for a little feng shui divine luck. When Margo shows up to paint, he realizes he’s found exactly what he’s looking for. He just has to convince Margo to share more than the art of medicine. 

 

She’s got it. He wants it. It’s Perfectly Reasonable.  

 

Buy Link (included in Kindle Unlimited):

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Perfectly-Reasonable-Book-2-ebook/dp/B09D6WFHNM

 

  

Enjoy an excerpt:

“So, you’re a doctor,” Trace said slowly.

Jeez. Back to that. “Yup.”

“How come a doctor is painting my living room?”

“Because you’re paying twice the usual fee,” Margo said with a cheeky grin.

“Shouldn’t you be…doctoring?”

Her smile slipped. He sounded like her mother. All that time, all that money, blah, blah, blah. “I could be, but at the moment, I’m painting.” She pointed to the paint sample hanging on the wall. “That’s the color I chose.”

He looked over. “I like it. Hopefully it will work.”

“I think it’ll work. Blue’s a neutral color. Looks good in this lighting and it’ll be a great backdrop with your metal furniture.”

“Hm-mm. I’m hoping it’ll be lucky.”

“Lucky?”

“Feng shui. Water and metal elements, á la blue paint and metal furniture, in the west and southwest rooms are supposed to bring divine luck this year. Good bye beige and wooden antiques.”

She smiled at him. He wants to get lucky? Look at those abs. Really, any color would do. “Sounds like you’ve researched this.”

He took a sip of coffee and set the cup down. “I have. I’m applying to medicine. Again. I’m giving it one last chance, and this time I’m doing it properly.”

“Medicine.”

“Yes.”

“And you think feng shui will help?” She reached for a small tool in the outer pocket of the tote bag and used it to pry open the lid from the first can of paint.

“Couldn’t hurt. And I want to cover all the bases. If I can get a little divine luck on my side, I’m all for it.”

She smiled at him as she stirred the paint. Hopefully he had more than feng shui up his sleeve. “I’ll get this done and get you started. I’m happy to help.” Especially if it meant her bills would get paid.

“Are you? You could be handy.”

“Oh I’m definitely handy,” she said with a smile.



Award-winning author Linda O’Connor started writing romantic comedies when she needed a creative outlet other than subtly rearranging the displays at a local home décor store. Her books have enjoyed bestseller status. When not writing, she’s a physician at an Urgent Care Clinic. She shares her medical knowledge in fast-paced, well-written, sexy romances – with an unexpected twist. Her favourite prescription to write? Laugh every day. Love every minute.

 

Website:  https://www.lindaoconnor.net

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/LindaOConnorAuthor

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/LindaOConnor98

Amazon Author Page:  https://www.amazon.com/Linda-OConnor/e/B00S7CNLEA


2 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Interesting post, Linda. I don't have children, but I was once a child and I did have homework. I wasn't into sports - at all - but I was into anything to do with art (drawing, painting, writing, crafts, etc.). The homework I did have didn't cut into my time for the art I loved.

I don't think learning by rote or doing standardized tests should be a part of homework. If I had a child, I'd want to teach them critical thinking and civics (how our government works). I would hope the school would want to teach them the same. Without critical thinking skills and a mind focused on nothing but sports (bread and circuses), we're easy pickings for the PTB in this country who don't care about democracy. Profit is their one and only goal and god. If people don't see and understand that they eventually lose their freedoms.

Linda O'Connor said...

Those are very important skills and topics to learn - in and out of school!