Home

Monday, May 13, 2024

Choosing the right words

As I go through and self-edit my latest book, I am at the stage where I'm nitpicking my word choices. Words do matter. This manuscript has been edited by others, but sometimes you need to take the time and really comb through your story. I found some verbs that didn't seem strong enough. I use "fill" a lot in my writing. For example: Smoke filled the room. There are better word choices for this sentence like "Smoke permeated the room." It's much stronger and describes the scene better. "Fill" works most of the time, but if a stronger verb can be used, that's the wiser choice. Your readers will appreciate you doing your best to make their experience more enjoyable.

So take the time to self-edit your story before hitting that publishing button.

*********************************

Only a woman with Fae blood can stop the Roman Ninth legion from occupying her homeland, but the cost is high.

Genre: Historical fiction fantasy romance

Tropes: Opposites Attract, Love Triangle, Secrets, Magic, Fated, Different Worlds

Available in Kindle, Print, and Kindle Unlimited

Buy Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BYB1FGL8




Links to my social media and newsletter sign up: https://books.kelleyheckart.com/kelleyheckart/linktree

Sign up for my newsletter and receive a free ebook copy of The Enchanted Meadow

2 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

I hear you on self-editing, Kelley. When I reread some of my books from years ago, I'm always editing them in my mind, thinking 'why didn't I do that scene this way?'

Linda O'Connor said...

This is so true! The word choice can create such a different mood or picture in your mind. It's worth the effort to re-read it with that edit in mind.