Home

Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Love and Writing - imperfect characters and happily ever afters #PNR #Writing #EnemiesToLovers #shapeshifters


 It’s hard to find chunks of uninterrupted time to really, truly write. This evening, my house is unexpectedly quiet. Nobody needs my attention or a ride somewhere or help with homework so I can actually sit down at my desk/kitchen table and get some work done. I have so many different stories I’ve begun that need my attention. Often, when I sit down, I don’t know where to begin, and this particular evening is no exception. Getting to that calm place of inspiration always takes a moment.

My dog and cats are mad about the thunderstorm that’s been raging for the last hour, so they’re sticking close by my side. I always keep my composition notebooks on standby while I work on various files on my computer. Sometimes writing something by hand helps me figure out a way forward when I’m stuck. I’ve pulled up a playlist full of songs by Rush, Tom Petty, Elton John, Greta Van Fleet, Peter Gabriel, and Alice in Chains on my phone because I like background noise. Total silence is annoying. Also annoying is the sinus headache currently pounding at the base of my skull.

The headache is my near constant companion these days and the pain makes me feel like I’m existing in slow motion, but I can still move, and so I’m moving along, doing what I can. Sometimes, I can focus in on writing or reading a good book and forget that the obnoxious pain exists. Other times, I’m not so lucky. I don’t wait to feel better, anymore, instead, I sit down at the computer and see what I can get done anyway. Nothing stops moving— not the world, not the greed that powers misery, not even hard times that come for people who don’t deserve to suffer— nothing stops, so I try to keep going, too.

People have asked me why I like writing in the romance genre. There’s not enough love, not enough hope or happy endings, so writing romance gives me a chance to create worlds where love is valued and kindness is a strength. I write imperfect characters that have to dig deep to find the courage to find for their happy ending. I like to add shapeshifters, plenty of steamy tension and spice, and lots of suspense to my stories.

Coyote’s Vow, the latest story in my Stranger Creatures series, features a gruff coyote shifter and a sweet, smart ass, telekinetic psy.

Coyote’s Vow - Blurb:

Kylie was the victim of a brutal experiment that gave her telekinetic abilities. Coyote shifter Trevor doesn’t trust the psy but when his feelings for Kylie grow out of control, will he risk everything to be with her? When a deranged doctor has disturbing plans for shifters and psy, can Trevor and Kylie stop him, or will they be silenced forever?

Excerpt:

Who is she? Trevor tried not to stare at the woman sitting across from Shifters United President Matt Blackwell but damn, she was beautiful. Her long, black hair had a purple, glossy tint. Intricate tattoos wound around her arms and lower legs. He wanted to run his fingers along the ink lines of every single tattoo. Her skin looked so smooth and touchable. Bitable too. Nope. Not appropriate. Not at all. He forced his descending coyote fangs to recede.

Blackwell didn’t introduce Trevor to the mystery woman, though, and that sent his curiosity into caution mode. The purple-haired beauty gave him a wary look before glancing back down at the computer tablet in her hand. Right. Business. Trevor had obviously interrupted a meeting. He’d stopped by Matt Blackwell’s hotel room to drop off a folder full of intel and surveillance photos. He needed to find an excuse to stay and talk to the woman with lovely dark brown eyes.

“Thanks for taking care of the research,” Blackwell gave him a nod. “Set the info on my desk and I’ll take a look before the meeting tonight.”

Trevor walked past the mystery woman and set the folder full of information on the small desk beside the coffee table. He stole another, longer glance at the woman. Her nails were painted indigo blue. His favorite color. The tattoos winding around her arms seemed to be in motion, encircling her in their safety. Weird trick of the light. Had to be. He rubbed his eyes. Blinked. The tattoos went still. The woman smelled amazing, like wildflowers after the rain, but she didn’t smell like a shifter. Didn’t mean she wasn’t one.

Scent blockers made it easy for shifters to mask their unique scent, to a degree. The blockers also did a fairly good job at hiding other smells shifters could detect, like fear, desire, and rage. Even so, Trevor could almost always detect hints of the slightly rancid, faint garbage aroma of the blockers, no matter what brand or what home recipe a person used. Coyote shifters could pick up on smells most other shifters couldn’t.

What is the woman with the willowy tattoos? Was she a threat to Blackwell? Maybe a rabbit shifter? Rabbit shifters were the only animal shifters who carried no animal scent, but their eyes.... Not a specific color, just a look. Plus, they usually liked to flash their double rows of horrifying sharp teeth upon meeting other shifters. Just for a flex. The rabbits could be mean when bothered unnecessarily, but mostly, they were pretty decent. The woman caught him looking again and gave him a little half smile. Her pretty eyes with long, thick lashes were definitely not the strange eyes of a rabbit shifter.

“I’ll see you later, Trevor.” Blackwell gave him a pointed stare.

“You’re alright here?”

“I’m fine. I have Nathan,” Blackwell gestured to his giant assistant and body guard who was seated in a chair in the kitchenette, reading a book.

No code phrases were used, and Trevor didn’t detect any signs of distress from the mountain lion shifter or his bear shifter assistant. Trevor nodded. Apparently, Blackwell had no intention of introducing him to the woman sitting with him. Nathan, grinned at Trevor, like he knew something. Fine, Nathan could keep his secret. But Trevor would get information, one way or another.

Purchase Links:

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZT58GXZ

Barnes and Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/coyotes-vow-christina-lynn-lambert/1143274092?ean=2940185830819

Apple iBooks: https://books.apple.com/us/book/coyotes-vow/id6447381379?ign-itscg=30200&ign-itsct=books_box_link

Kobo Books: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/coyote-s-vow

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1370196

Google Books: Coyote's Vow by Christina Lynn Lambert - Books on Google Play

 

If you’d like to follow me on social media for my latest book information and excerpts, poems, contest info, book recommendations, and other fun stuff, you can find me at:

Amazon Author Pagehttps://www.amazon.com/Christina-Lynn-Lambert/e/B01MCYK0K7

BookBub:  https://www.bookbub.com/authors/christina-lynn-lambert

Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/christinalynnlambert

Goodreadshttps://www.goodreads.com/author/show/15900423.Christina_Lynn_Lambert

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/christinalynnlambert

Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/christinalynnlambert

Twitterhttps://www.twitter.com/chris4lamb

Wordpresshttps://christinalynnlambertwordpress.com

 

2 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Great post, Christina. This line really struck me: "There’s not enough love, not enough hope or happy endings, so writing romance gives me a chance to create worlds where love is valued and kindness is a strength."

That is so true. Kindness is strength. Being cruel isn't strength, it's the mark of cowards. Too bad some people can't see that.

Sorry about your headaches. I get migraines and I know how awful the pain is. Kudos to you for trying to write while your head's pounding. Hope you feel better soon.

Christina Lynn Lambert said...

Thanks Tina! Today is a better day.
I definitely agree that cruelty is the mark of cowards. Kindness takes effort and understanding. I wish more people had the strength and self-confidence to be kind.