Home

Monday, March 25, 2024

What does this writer do when she is not writing? Daryl Devore's other favourite thing. #writer #hobby #gardening #twistedfairytale #hotromance

Writing can be all-consuming. A writer in the midst of a scene may get so focused that the concept of time is lost.

Lost until the dog comes in a demands a walk. Or the cat decides you've paid enough attention to the computer and it's her turn. Etc

The second (?) book I wrote was a novella. My at-the-time publisher requested a novella from everyone based on a fairy tale. I picked Little Red Riding Hood. Plot was already set for me. Red's mom sends her to visit Grandma. Meets a wolf along the way. Wolf gets to Grandma's and slips into bed. Red shows up. Lumberjack comes along and saves the day. It took me approx 2 days to write 20,000 words. 

But because of that ability to intensely focus on something - day after day - there is a real risk for writer burn out. Which is what I think happened to me. I've written less that 3,000 words in the past year on my latest WIP. 

But, what I can focus on is my other love - gardening.





But what prompted this post is a file I found. I was doing a cleaning of veg garden and flower garden folders and in flowers I found a folder with 1 document in it. A note to myself - 

LOL. I had forgotten I had that document. I did save it. And I do remember which ones are the canna lilies and which are the calla lilies.

Now if you want to read my short story based on Little Red Riding Hood - keep reading.

Note - it's an adult version of the story, so kinda spicy hot.

What's a naughty fairy tale like Red Riding Hood without Red, the huntsman, grandma and especially, the big bad wolf?

 

Esmerelda 'Red' Hood is summoned to her mother's executive suite only to learn her sweet granny is headed for a romantic cruise with a gigolo. Horrified, Red races off to save her grandma before it's too late.

 

On board, Red meets Andrew Woodsman and Willem Olf. One a cutie with the biggest puppy eyes and the other a dark, sophisticated predator. Her grandmother's warning rings in Red's ear "Never trust a wolf in sheep's clothing."

 

Even with the warning, Red has trouble choosing which man could be the big bad wolf and which could be her happily ever after.

 

UBL 


BookBub

Pinterest Board for DARK CHOCOLATE AND STRAWBERRIES

GoodReads





If you'd like to join my author group -



FaceBook 

MeWe



2 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

I've always liked gardening. It's fascinating to watch things grow. :)

I love your twisted fairytale!

Daryl Devoré said...

Thank you for saying you liked my twisted fairy tale. And yes, I find gardening fascinating. Put in a little seed and get a watermelon or tomatoes - such an amazing thing.