Home

Thursday, March 21, 2024


 The ides of March? I can never remember if that's the fifth or the fifteenth. Apparently it's the 15th. It sounds so foreboding but it seems to just be that day in the month and it's not just March! It's also the ides of May, July or October...and the 13th of the rest of the month. I suppose the foreboding comes with "Beware" in Shakespeare's "Beware the ides of March" which refers to when Caesar was assassinated. That was also the day debts were settled in ancient Rome. I live in New England and settling of debts was done on January 1st around here.


Isn't it funny how platitudes are born? My sister once barked at me about my "pocket platitudes" which I took as a compliment since I had quite a few of them. When we learn later that we have the terms wrong or are using it wrong or it doesn't mean what we think it means, we just have to shrug. Life is too short to worry about such things.

What's your favorite saying? Did you ever learn you had it wrong?


Click here to purchase your copy today!

1 comment:

Tina Donahue said...

This isn't a platitude, but it is one of my fave quotes from a book - specifically one of the three in the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson: "Friendship is probably the most common form of love..."

To me that's so true and beautiful.