Home

Thursday, February 1, 2024

When Your Story Goes Awry by Janet Lane Walters #BWLAuthor #MFRWAuthor #mystery #murder #researcher heroine #detective hero

 

What do you do when your story goes awry. Starting a new mystery series sounded like fun, especially when I had ideas for the first two books. These stories weren't quite cozy but they weren't police procedurals. I was hiping for a happy medium. The rough draft began easily and I wanted to hone in on the murder and the victim. There was a potential romance and a family sort of perhaps in the series.

Then, I wanted to complicate the mystery. The victim was dead but it turns out no one knows who he really was. That's when I went awry. Imagining all sorts of reasons for his not being known, the chapters became more far out and more confusing. I finally shook my head. This was not working. What now?

I've put this away for a month or two and returned to a completed rough draft of a story that I will finish in perhaps two or three months. Then I can go back and tackle The Horror Writer's Demise with fresh eyes and make the complications less strange and weave in the other elements,

My Places

   https://twitter.com/JanetL717

 https://www.facebook.com/janet.l.walters.3?v=wall&story_f

bid=113639528680724

 http://bookswelove.net/

 http://wwweclecticwriter.blogspot.com

https://www.pinterest.com/shadyl717/

 

Buy Mark My Places

 

https://bookswelove.net/walters-janet-lane/

 


1 comment:

  1. I get where you're coming from, Janet. Sometimes an idea seems so good, but when you start working it the idea refuses to cooperate.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear once it is approved by the moderator.