Home

Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Beware the Woman in Green: The Folklore Behind My Dancing Vampires

What If a Vampiric Fae Asked You to Dance?



I love Celtic mythology, so when I learned about the baobhan sith, I couldn’t resist writing about them. These women of Scottish folklore are sometimes called dancing vampires. That name alone got my imagination moving.

Picture a lonely road in the Highlands at night. A beautiful woman in green appears and invites a handsome man to dance. He may think he’s found romance. She’s thinking about dinner.

A baobhan sith is a vampiric fairy, which makes her different from the vampires most readers know. She isn’t undead, doesn’t sleep in a coffin, and has no need for fangs. Her long nails become talons. She dances with her victim until he’s exhausted, then uses those talons to draw his blood.

Naturally, I began to wonder: What if she fell in love with the man she meant to kill?

That question became my six-novella Dancing Vampires series. My seven baobhan sith sisters leave their fairy realm and roam the Scottish Highlands looking for men. But instead of drinking the blood of the men they choose, they find themselves falling for them. Their lovers are human, while the sisters belong to a dangerous world of fey magic. That gives every romance a problem no amount of dancing can solve on its own.

The series begins with Dance of the Vampires. 


Sorcha sets her sights on Ian McDuff, but Ian is determined to protect his brothers from her sisters. When sunrise traps Sorcha in the mortal world, the two have time to discover that their attraction is stronger than either expected. Unfortunately, their families would still rather fight than welcome the match.

As the series continues, other sisters find love, and more figures from mythology enter their stories. The war goddess Morrigan plays a strong role throughout. Valkyries arrive to complicate matters, too. In the final novella, Some Vampires Shimmy, the sisters’ adventures take them to a steampunk convention in Glasgow, where Afric meets a rock guitarist named Kade.

I wanted to keep what first fascinated me about the baobhan sith: the green dresses, the dancing, the talons, and the danger. Then I gave these bloodthirsty fairies something they never expected to find in the men they hunted—a chance at love.

The six novellas are available together in Dancing Vampires. I hope you’ll come dance with the sisters. You can decide for yourself whether to trust them.

More at https://books2read.com/u/4DAGO7  or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074CFW9W7?lv=shuf&utm_source=chatgpt.com&channelId=480&plpRedirect=mhFallback

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear once it is approved by the moderator.