Home

Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Toxic Fandoms Ruining Good Things

 

 
"Who are you calling a chicken? 

Long and Short Reviews Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge August 5 prompt

https://www.longandshortreviews.com/wednesday-weekly-blogging-challenge/ 

Reasons I stopped reading or watching a series

In short, the reason I stop watching a series is usually due to the wrong kind of drama. Sometimes in the series itself, and other times in the fandom.

 
Image by Betidraws from Pixabay
"So did ya see what happened when Damon and Stefan fought over Elena last night? Did ya, huh? Did ya?
"I cannot even begin to tell you how much I don't care." 

With The Vampire Diaries, I got tired of the Elena-Damon-Stefan triangle. 

I also got tired of the drama surrounding Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder during the time that they were together in real life.

 
Image by Saarvendra from Pixabay
"This post-apocalyptic hellscape is way more relaxing and way less toxic than the Supernatural fandom." 

With Supernatural, I got tired of the toxic fandom drama. 

Ship what you like. I really don't care.

The fact that some people vehemently accused those who liked the Sam and Dean ship of supporting real-life incest and, in particular, child molestation, was repugnant to me. 

The Sam and Dean ship had nothing to do with either of these things. It stemmed from the somewhat flirty dynamic between the actors who played Sam and Dean. These men are friends in real life, and the warmth and innuendo between them came through in their characters. It was never anything more than that.

Fandom in theory should create supportive communities bonding over a common interest. 

All too often, the reality is otherwise.

It's sad when toxic devotees destroy the fandoms they claim to support.

 
Image by Stefan Keller from Pixabay
Can't we all just enjoy creating weird things and shipping in peace?
Life's too short to get caught up in foolish drama. 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. I could be wrong, but I think a lot of these 'fans' are either frustrated/failed writers/actors and they snipe at others' work because it makes them feel less like a failure.

    At the beginning of my writing career I was stunned to read reviews that were frankly toxic. C'mon, it's a story. If you don't like it, don't read it. No reason to tear the author apart.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear once it is approved by the moderator.