Home

Sunday, December 3, 2017

Facts to Amaze and Delight you!!!

-->
The year is 1917, one hundred years ago!!!! 
Here are some statistics to amaze you!


The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.

Fuel for cars was sold in drug stores only.

Only 14 percent of homes had a bathtub.

Only 8% of homes had a telephone.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was ten miles per hour.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower.

The average US wage in 1920 was 22 cents per hour.

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 a year.

A dentist $2,500 a year.

-->
A veterinarian between $1,500 to $4000 a year,

And a mechanical engineer about $5000 a year.

More than 95 percent of all births took place at home.

Ninety percent of all doctors had no medical education.

Instead, they attended so-called medical school, many of which were condemned in the press AND the government as “substandard.”

Sugar cost four cents a pound.

Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen. `

Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Crossword puzzles, canned beer and iced tea hadn’t been invented yet.

Two out of ten adults could neither read not write.

Only six percent had graduated from high school.

Morphine, heroin, and marijuana were all available over the counter at the local drugstore.

Eighteen percent of households had at least one full time servant or domestic help.

There were about 230 reported murders in the entire U.S.A.


No personal advertising this time... but you can look me up anytime at www.jeanhartstewart.com, or find my books at MuseItUp, Barnes and Noble, Amazon, and all the usual websites.  
 

4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Wow - how times have changed. By 3000, a dozen eggs will probably cost a million bucks.

Tim Smith said...

Jean, these were very interesting stats. Hard to believe that the drugs you listed were once available OTC. Thanks for sharing these.

jean hart stewart said...

Thanks to you both for the comments...I'm completely fascinated by facts like these....

Fiona McGier said...

Maybe the fact that doctors had no medical schooling is part of why 95% of babies were delivered at home...presumably by midwives, who at least knew what they were doing. I wonder if any of them, doctors or midwives, washed their hands?

My mom was 8th out of 10 and she was born in 1930, so my Busia was popping out babies in 1917, no doubt. I was told that the midwife would take the baby down to the local deli and put it on the meat scale, to see what it weighed. The only one Busia delivered in a hospital turned out to be about 13-14#. Considering that Busia was only about 4'8" tall, she was quite a trooper! She had lots more after that one.

1917--before insulin was discovered and artificial stuff invented, so my brother and my son would have died very young. But then, my son would have never been born, since I was sick a lot as a kid, and penicillen was what kept my fevers down...even when I had scarlet fever, which used to turn into rheumatic fever, then heart disease back then. So back then I'd never have lived long enough to get married. My first baby weighed 11#, and he was a failed induction, so C-section. I don't think my odds would have been very good with doctors who had no medical training, no anti-biotics, and primitive surgical procedures.

So as depressing as our country is these days, I guess I'm lucky I was born when I was.