Home

Sunday, January 8, 2017

The Year of Me

I'm not big on New Years Resolutions. You can read my previous blogs about it on my website or here. I don't think there is anything special about the end of the year, or any special reason to set a goal when a new year starts. If you have a goal, you should start working towards it now. Not just on January 1st. If there's something you don't like about your life you should start fixing it now. Not when some magical day of the year rolls around.

But this year, due to a few events at the end of the year, something started to become crystal clear to me. So this year, on January 1st, I did make a resolution of sorts. I've decided that this year is going to be all about me.

What does that mean exactly? Well, I'm going to make a real effort to put myself first. I definitely have a habit of putting everyone else before myself. I go pick up my friends and drop them off at the airport, and never ask for the same in return. I help them move, but never asked for any help when I moved into my own place. I never want to imposition them. And sometimes that is fine, but I'm starting to realize that I want more. I want to come first sometimes. That I am worth just as much as they are.

This year I decided, I am going to put myself first, and no longer stand around waiting, and hoping that people will give me what I want. This year I am going to do what's best for me, regardless of how others feel about it.

So far I've been making strides with this new goal. I asked for a ride home from the airport from a friend, and he didn't seem upset about it. I know that might sound small, but that's way more than I would usually ask for. I've made an effort to take my lunch hour at the day job and to leave on time, instead of giving more my time to a job and a boss that doesn't appreciate it. And I've made time for things that are important to me, like writing and cooking, instead of focusing on others needs.

Of course this is a work in progress, and I expect that other conflicts will arise, and more difficult choices will present themselves this year. But I am going to try my best to continue to pick myself, for the rest of the year. If it doesn't work out, I can always go back to my old ways next year. But at least for this year, I'm going to make it all about me and what I want.

So how about any of you? Anyone make a new years resolution this year? Or just a plan old goal for the future? Leave it in the comments, so we can encourage each other, to make the 2017 the best year we can.

3 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

I'm with you on resolutions, Willa. I just keep chugging along. Persistence is probably the most important factor in any success. Hope you have a great 2017. :)

Fiona McGier said...

I could say that I want to be on-time more this year, but then we all know that won't work. I was supposed to be born on Christmas day, but was born the next day...so I was even late for my own birth! I just bought a work-out tee that says, "Running late is my cardio." Too true.

I really would like more time to write, but alas, my aging body can't get by with only 5 or so hours of sleep per night anymore, so there goes my writing time. I used to do it late at night, when everyone else was asleep. Recently I've fallen asleep too many times, only to wake up with QWERTY on my forehead. Sigh.

Maybe I'll stick with the old stand-by of trying to lose weight. I've had that one for years, but despite living on mostly veggies and fruit, and going to aerobics classes multiple times per week, I've stayed within the same 5 pound weight for about 10 years.

I know! I'll resolve to be more accepting of myself and my flaws this year. Done! :-D

S.Lira said...

Sounds like a good plan, Willa. I have that same issue. This year I resolved to taking more time out for me. Treating myself better which means eating better, more exercise, etc. This is also the year I start worrying less, esp. with things I can't control.

I have another name for it, but I'll keep it to myself.

Hugs

S