Home

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Happy New Year and random thoughts...by Harlie Williams

Happy New Year!

So I've been off the grid since December 16, 2016.  Yes, off the grid.  I've been lurking on social media and the blog was scheduled way beforehand.  Being on vacation is wonderful and our son had a fab time at Disney World and the time we spent at the in-laws was great.  And we went to the Texas Bowl and watched the Texas AM& M Aggies lose to Kansas State.  We still had a blast at the game.

Unfortunately, our SIL's dad died so the Friday before New Year's, the in-laws, a BIL and us caravaned back to our house so we could go to the Memorial on New Year's Eve.  We were finally a family of 3 with the dog, on New Year's afternoon.  In fact, that night was the first time that Brian had actually slept in his bed since the 15th.  Poor baby.  He is still recovering from the Christmas holiday.  Oh yes, this week as been a struggle for him to get out of bed for school in the morning.  Me, I've worked all week and the fun continues with being a kindergarten teacher all next week.  I can't complain, I'm working and we need the money for a new dryer.

Why am I telling you this?  Because I would like to weigh in the authors that are thinking about quitting writing due to the failing of ARe.  Yes, I saw it on Facebook and frankly, I was shocked.  I had my one book on there and I couldn't tell you if I ever made a dime on it.  In fact, since the book has been release (2012), I've never made a dime on it.  Sad, but true.  Which leads me to the question, why do I write?  Honestly, for me, I'm not sure.  When I published, I was so excited.  I thought that I would be able to write another one and get it published.  Unfortunately for me, life got in the way...big time.  Major things going on and I just never pushed myself to finish it.  In fact, now, I have about 4 different stories written in varying stages and it doesn't look like they will be finished anytime soon.

I know, I should do all the things that writers do.  Set aside time to write.  For me, writing isn't a passion.  I don't have that drive.  My drive is reading.  I can't not read a book.  It would so unnatural for me not to read.  Do I get paid to read?  Nope.  Does my blog make any money?  Nope.  I read for the sheer pleasure of it.  I don't read as much as I used to but I make time to do it.

Will I ever publish again?  Maybe but again, I don't HAVE to write.  I actually hated writing papers in school.  I was a great researcher and reader but the actual writing portion...nope.  Yawn.

So why am I telling you my story?  So that the writers that are thinking about quitting because another publisher/third party seller decided to screw the authors, publishers, and readers over WILL NOT QUIT!  You write because you have that passion, the drive and for some, it puts food on the table.

I feel really bad for the authors that relied on ARe for their income.  It sux and I'm hearing now that EC has finally reverted back all the rights to the books to authors that were owed.  Hopefully the same can be said about ARe.  Only time will tell.  I lost my library from EC and ARe, but I hadn't bought a book from either site since 2009.

So, writers...please continue to write.  It's your passion.  As for me, I'll keep on reading.  It's my passion.  Oh and baseball season...one month away from pitchers and catchers reporting to camp.  Woo Hoo!





6 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

I write because I have to. It's as necessary to me as breathing. It's when I'm happiest.

Harlie Williams said...

Exactly. It's an extension of who you are. Keep on doing that. Don't let the topsy-turvy industry make that decision for you. Keep doing what makes you happy.

Harlie

jean hart stewart said...

Ditto Tina's comment. I can't not write. A lot of my books were at EC, but MustItUp will take as any as I want. Still, a hell of a lot of work going to a different publisher....

Harlie Williams said...

Jean, I can't even imagine what you will have to go through to get those books published.

Harlie

Karla Tamayo said...

Thank you so much for this post, Harlie.
It's kinda cool how you apparently read my mind. I know you had some hard situations during the holidays, so that you take the time to encourage many of us to write is kind of awesome.

You see, some days before Christmas I was questioning if I should continue writing or not. I enjoy writing; it brings me lots of happiness and a sense of fulfillment, but I do it for the pleasure it brings and nothing else.

So far I published two books and while I really want them to become some sort of income they haven't, and I keep wondering if they ever will. During those days I had a lot of self doubt and felt really bad about it. Was it worth it? Asking my family for some time that I probably should be spending with them? Using money that should be saved or invested more wisely? I would love to be an author that's able to cover the bills... I don't crave for the spotlight or even for a lot of money. I was really struggling the idea of keep on writing. My husband is nothing but supportive, and my son believes I'll be famous... Only time will say.

Anyway, it was actually my brother who gave me the extra push, telling me not to stop writing since I love it so much. To keep on with the impulse and don't let go of my dreams. I have so many stories I want to write and not enough time to do it (since I have a job that actually pays the bills, hehe). So in a way, you're right, we have to keep going.

I love how writing makes me feel, I love how proud I am of myself when I do it, I love the satisfaction it gives me, the rush that I get when people tell me what they think of my stories. I'm very far away from becoming a best seller or winning a literature prize, but I have to keep going because I love it.

Thanks for believing in us and for reading what we write!
XOXO

S.Lira said...

Great post.

ARe owed me almost nothing, but I felt terrible for other authors and companies. I hope she gets what's coming to her.

As far as writing, I do it for the escape. I love writing because I can put myself in a fictional world that I created and stay there until I'm forced to leave. Like Tina said, I'm happiest when I write. I have those self doubts too, but I've been telling myself to finish the story, do what I can to get it out there, and give it a chance. A lot of times I questioned myself being an author too, but as long as we have the desire, we are authors! PERIOD

Hugs