Home

Sunday, January 29, 2017

A book, a bed, a programmable coffee maker, and you, Babe!

Hi All,

Although, I'm busy working on revisions to the first book of The Husband Hunter's Guide to London series, I'll still find time for my favorite weekend routine with my partner in happily-ever-after.
(Once the chores are done, of course.)

Routines might seem deadly in a page-turning romance, but a little bit of routine has a place as the h/h reach the lasting love stage of their relationship. As a writer I want to show readers the enduring nature of the bond my h/h have formed. The routine they share has to include talk and laughter and the promise of more sex.

Readers of a certain age may remember the morning kitchen scene at the end of Working Girl when Jack Trainer (Harrison Ford) sends Tess McGill (Melanie Griffiths) off to work at her new job. It's clear that they've established a routine of caring for each other and sharing their lives.

When I'm writing routines into the lives of my h/h, I go back to the weekend routines I remember from days of being a single person, or from early married life in a beach town, or to the days with small children. Now that my husband and I are just us and the dog, we have a new routine.

Mix one remodeled house with one hasty purchase of an over-priced programmable coffee-maker, plus piles of books--new routine. My husband sets the program at night, and we wake to good coffee smells. He brings us each a cup, and we read in bed, looking out at the treetops and sky, talking about ideas and life. It feels sinfully lazy and intimate. Mind you, this is at 6:00 a.m. as the dog has her routines, too. As my husband says, "It's a good day if the sun comes up and you still love me."



I love giving my h/h a routine of their own, whether it involves small boys and beaches as it does for Emma and Josh in Golden Boy, or a dog and the San Francisco Bay as it does for Tara and Jack in "Once Upon a Ring."



If you have a great weekend routine you'd love to share, comment below to be eligible for a print copy of Ring of Truth, a trilogy of stories set in San Francisco about the magic of finding love.

Visit me at www.facebook.com/KateMooreAuthor
or find out more about my books at www.katemoore.com

3 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

I loved Working Girl. When he packed her lunch and told her to play nice with the other kids, I fell even more in love with him. Nothing is sexier than a guy helping out around the house. Great post.

KateM said...

Thanks, Tina. It helps, too, if it's Harrison Ford making your lunch! :)

jean hart stewart said...

Loved your column...nice knowing about your wonderful marriage....