Home

Friday, December 23, 2016

Victorian or Steampunk Christmas



Like many people, I love the Victorian era. Two of my steampunk romances, The Brass Octopus and To Love A London Ghost, can also be classified as Historical Era Victorian romances. 

And of course, since it's only two days to Christmas, I have to mention that there is nothing better than an old-fashioned Victorian Christmas.

Every year in Galveston Texas, near Houston where I live, we have a Victorian Christmas Festival, Dickens on the Strand. 

This year we were hit by a flash flood that Saturday, December 3rd, and  Galveston had record rainfall by mid-morning  with  more than 6 inches by that night, close to tripling previous records. But people came out and there were a few vendors. Of course, they didn't charge for that day and I didn't stay long, but I had fun and took a few pictures. 
Here's a selfie of me in my holiday top hat, a goodwill find, and I added the Christmas trim.

Yuletide carols sung by a choirHere are some scenes from past Christmas'2013-12-08 15.43.45 (640x480)

st nick 2Dickens Christmas on the Strand, held in Galveston Texas, is full of old  fashioned Holiday fun. So lasso up the kids and head then down to the strand. laso up the kidsTossing knives while riding a unicycle … fun fun fun. Of course I won’t be trying that anytime soonfunA highlight of Dickens On the Strand is the Victorian Bed Races. The beds have to be Victorian style with head and foot-boards.photophoto 2photo 5photo 4


The beds must be decorated in a Victorian Christmas theme. photo 7cphoto 3cphoto 2b     photo 4cphoto 6c






Beds may only be pushed, from the back or the sides. No pulling allowed Teams begin at 21st and Mechanic Street and race westward to the intersection of 22nd and Mechanic. In the intersection, teams come to a complete stop and perform a “Chinese Fire Drill”, with every team member circling the bed once. Then one of the pushers dons a nightcap and gown, without assistance, and changes places with the previous rider, who becomes a pusher.photo 16 photo 11photo 14photo 17        
Once the new rider photo 18is on the bed, the team races to the finish line. Awards are given for the fastest time and the best decorated.



on its head it wore no other covering than a holly wreath -“I am the Ghost of Christmas Present,” said the Spirit. “Look upon me!”
on its head it wore no other covering than a holly wreath -“I am the Ghost of Christmas Present,” said the Spirit. “Look upon me!”

It wore a tunic of the purest white;- “I am the Ghost of Christmas Past.”
It wore a tunic of the purest white;- “I am the Ghost of Christmas Past.”
the fiddler (an artful dog, mind! The sort who knew his business better than you or I!) struck up “Sir Roger de Coverley
the fiddler (an artful dog, mind! The sort who knew his business better than you or I!) struck up “Sir Roger de Coverley
No beggars implored him to bestow a trifle
No beggars implored him to bestow a trifle

3 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Awesome photos, Cornelia. Looks like a fun event. :)

Cornelia Amiri said...

Thank you for your comment, Tina. I appreciate it. Yes, it's a blast.

jean hart stewart said...

Wow, that sounds fantastic! Have fun at the festivities and a happy new year to you and yours.