Home

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah and Happy Kwanzaa!


Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah and Happy Kwanzaa!  





So I haven't blogged as a blogger/reviewer in a long time.  I felt like I should do that today.  You see, I was burned badly by a PR/Blog Tour company recently.  I won't get into the particulars but let's just say that I will never work with this company again.  I wish I could blame the indie author but I can't.  I wasn't the only blogger that got screwed by the company that set up the tour.

Long story short - Read part 1 of a 2 part book.  Part 2 is coming and I signed up for the blog tour again.  Asked for the ARC.  Didn't get the ARC (hurt but I can survive) but now I don't have tour materials.  Oh yes, it's like I didn't even sign up for the tour AT.ALL.  I can prove in my history that I did sign up.  Unfortunately, the author is telling me and others that got screwed to contact the company.  Nope, not going to do it.  And let me repeat, I'm not the only person that didn't get anything from the company.  And yes, there were readers that read part 1, posted their review and didn't get the second book either.  

*Note, I love the author and I did order the trade paperback copies, so I'll eventually get to read the second part.*

Things I learned (the hard way...AGAIN):

1.  Authors are NOT in control of their blog tour.  It's true.  You pay for a service but after money is exchanged, it's all about the company.  Not the author.

2.  PR/Blog tour companies have their "favorites".  Yes, it's Mean Girls all over again.  

3.  PR/Blog tour companies think they have all the power when it comes to tours/authors/bloggers.  Nope, sorry.  Bloggers talk...a lot.  We can make or break a tour.  They need to remember that.

4.  This incident just further reinforces why I HATE street/review teams.  Again, the company picks who they want out of the members, not the people that will actually read the book, review it, post it and promote it.  

Here's what authors should look for in PR/Blog Tour companies:

1.  Testimonials.  Get them.  Ask other authors and bloggers.  Bloggers have long memories.

2.  Make sure to really listen to the bloggers/readers in your street team when it comes time to get materials and/or the book.  You paid for the tour, you should be invested, too.

3.  Research the blog tour companies.  I have my all time favorites to work with when it comes when it comes to the Indie author and the publisher authors.  Oh yes, there are tour companies that specialize in one or the other.  

4.  Remember that some members only want free books.  Me?  I get enough, I don't need to be a member of a team to get free books.  

5.  You get what you pay for.  Again, talk to other bloggers/authors.  

So, I've ranted enough on the subject but enough is enough.  PR/Blog Tour companies come and go.  They are in it for the money.  Readers/Bloggers are there for YOU...the author.  

I hope that everyone has a great holiday season.  Our son is going to Disney World courtesy of my SIL.  She has points, etc. and takes her family at least twice a year.  She invited Brian to go with them this year and we couldn't be more excited for him.  He leaves on the 17th and we don't see him until the 24th when hubby and I get to the in-laws for the holiday.





4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Great post, Harlie. Lots of wisdom here.

Hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday season. :)

Layna Pimentel said...

So sorry this has happened to you. As an author, I've stopped using tour companies. One of the only ones I trust and would love to hire is a bit out of my budget now. Went to work for another and never received work, much less never got any of my emails answered either. Yup. Suffice it to say, I am done with most companies now.

Harlie Williams said...

@Tina, thanks. I've been blogging for 8 years now and you would think that I would have learned. Nope...

@Layna - A lot of authors are not using tour companies for many reasons. What's sad is that some authors can not see what happens to bloggers on the backside. It's an ugly business and then authors wonder why bloggers don't blog/review/promote anymore.

Oh yes, some of my favorite bloggers are gone now. They just couldn't handle the crap anymore. *SMH*

Karla Tamayo said...

Thanks for the insight.
Sorry again about the whole thing.
You should let know me indie authors like me your suggested PR companies, I know I would appreciate it.
Happy holidays to you and your family. I know your soon will have lots of fun :)