Home

Monday, October 3, 2016

A Book for the Days of the Literary Year ----

Most of you know that one of my less secret vices is my love for second hand book stores. One can find such treasures there! I recently found this little gem that gives day by day references to the literary scene through the years. Naturally I turned to my blog day, October third, and here are the surprising notations for that day, in other years.

October 3rd, 1849.   During electioneering in Baltimore, Edgar Allen Poe is kept drunk by a gang of political hacks who have him vote repeatedly in the polls. Four days later he is dead.

October 3rd, 1895.  Stephen Crane's novel, The Red Badge of Courage, is published in book form.

October 3rd, 1900. Novelist Thomas Wolfe is born. He will later complain, "I can find plenty of women to sleep with but the kind of woman it is really hard for me to find is one who can read my handwriting."

October 3rd, 1925.  Gore Vidal, novelist, playwright and politician, is born in West Point, New York.

On my own birthday, February 16th, the most interesting quote was from Henry Adams, author of The Education of Henry Adams, who was born on that day. He says of himself, "I wanted to look like an  American Voltaire or Gibbon, but an slowly settling down to be a third-rate Boswell looking for a Dr. Johnson." I found that touching. And from the above facts about October 3rd, I found the information about Poe to be both distressing and poignant.

If you want to know what the book says about your birthday, sent me the date in a comment. I don't need the year, just the date. I'll post your days comments right away, or send it to you if you prefer and give me your e-mail addy.

Til next month.......
                                     

4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

What a great post, Jean. I miss bookstores and libraries. Ebooks are convenient, but there's something comforting about sitting in a comfy chair with that unique book smell surrounding you and losing yourself in a wonderful story.

jean hart stewart said...

Thanks, Tina. Come to San Diego and I'll show you my north county haunts. Love to!

Tina Donahue said...

Thanks, Jean. That would be wonderful. :)

jean hart stewart said...

That would be absolutely great.....