Home

Friday, September 16, 2016

Does being an author have an expiration date?

So here's the thing, I haven't gone this long without having something new published since my first book came out, in 2009. I had years where there were 3 books published in the same year, and one year I had 4 new books come out.  Now I've been waiting over a year for one book to be republished, since it was supposed to come out last December, then the company was bought, problems sprung up, etc.  Net outcome is that I'm still waiting on the republishing date for one of my favorite stories.  And the sequel hasn't been assigned an editor yet.

I've gotten the rights back to 2 of the books I pulled from another publisher, but working 2 jobs has kept me from having any time to get onto Smashwords and self-publish them.  Plus I need to do a quick re-edit of each, and pay for covers.

In the meantime, I've got 2 stories about 2/3 done, but one is the third book after the sequel that hasn't been assigned an editor.  So I figure there's no hurry there.  And I barely have the time to keep up with my email lists, both my personal one, and my author one.  Every time I sit down to write, I fall asleep on my keyboard, only to wake up with "qwerty" on my forehead again.

So when will I have to stop calling myself an author?  I still have 11 books available on Amazon.  I'm still selling flash fiction and short stories, when I can.  I've actually made more money over the years from my short stories, than from my novels.  (Most recent story? http://roanepublishing.blogspot.com/2016/09/flashfiction-friday-how-well-do-you.html)
 Ah, the irony, that the ones that take me almost no time to write, make money; and the ones I labor with love over are undiscovered by the public.  Perhaps if I had more time to promote?

So what do you think?  Am I still entitled (pun intended) to call myself an author?

Website: http://www.fionamcgier.com


3 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Absolutely. As long as you write, you're an author. As long as you need to write as much as you need to breathe, eat, and live, you're an author.

jean hart stewart said...

I agree with Tina completely. You're definitely an author, and a fine one at that. Keep writing, girl. This time will pass.

Fiona McGier said...

Thanks, Tina and Jean. I work in schools, so I use a pen name when I publish. I go for days, sometimes weeks, without talking to anyone about me being a writer. Then I come home to see what others are doing, the amount of promotions, or sales, and I feel like a fraud. Thanks for being so kind as to let me "hang with the cool kids" a bit longer!