Home

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Perilous Play and One Peril of Indie Publishing by Suz deMello (#indiepubbing #memoir #BDSM)

I've written about indie publishing before in this blog, and as many writers (and some readers) know, there's a steep learning curve in this enterprise. Republication offers opportunities to revise and re-edit. Sounds good, doesn't it? Gives the writer an opportunity to make a good book into a great one.

But there must be limits on our insanity. Some of us are too picky for our own good.

And when it comes to my memoir, Perilous Play: The Real Fifty Shades, I'm compulsively drawn to edit whenever something happens to affect the existing content.

Perilous Play is a memoir of some of my experiences with BDSM. One of the men in it, a user I call Trapper Hart, has called me out for oversharing. But I felt that this story needed to be told precisely because of sharks like Trapper. 

Plus, with the popularity of Fifty Shades, I was concerned about newbies venturing into the world of alternative sexual practices without knowledge of the pitfalls and yes, the perils. There's a difference between inflicting a pleasurable sort of pain and causing injury from sheer stupidity. For example, bondage is great but tying up a person wrong can really mess up his or her joints.

The first version of Perilous Play was written in late 2013, and I had inserted an invented scene to wrap up the book in a satisfactory way. I had also changed the location and time of significant events, and had marketed it as "based on a true story." As time went on, that bothered me more and more. I base my behavior on The Four Agreements, and the first one (see the graphic to your left) is all about honesty. I believe that honesty has to be tinctured with diplomacy and kindness, but the inventions in the first version of Perilous Play went beyond that. So this new version excises any inventions and corrects falsehoods, so I'm able to market it as a true story.

I also had the wonderful Dar Albert create a new cover, which I love.
This is, BTW, a pic of me ;)

Here's an excerpt to pique your interest.

Chapter NineA Brief Confession and a Better Ending

The time of this writing is July 2016, and I feel it’s time to tell the truth, especially since I have emphasized my commitment to honesty both in this book and my life.

The events I discussed in Chapter One did not take place in the Bay Area when I was a student—they took place in Sacramento in 2012, centering around a yoga studio. Trapper Hart was not a law student, but a local businessman who attended the same class I did.

2014 was a year of exploration and growth for me...


Like what you read? Get it here: 

4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Great cover and pic. So you've indulged in the lifestyle, huh? Interesting. Takes a lot of trust in a partner to give yourself over like that. I'm afraid visions of serial killers would dance in my head. But then, I'm not a trusting person. Luckily, I like vanilla sex even though I enjoy writing about BDSM. :)

jean hart stewart said...

Love reading about different lifestyles, even though I'm past the age of experimentation. Love the title of this one!

Fiona McGier said...

Since you're giving the real low-down on what can actually happen, as opposed to a totally fictional account by someone who has never experienced anything like that, maybe your book should be a go-with? As in, if they buy any of the FSOG books, they must get yours also, to give a balanced view? But then, reading about the tampon scene was enough to make me gag, and to realize that there's precious little reality possible in a book like that. Life is too short to read poorly-written books, when there are so many good ones to choose from!

As for Mr. "you-over-shared", perhaps if he wasn't such an asshole, people wouldn't feel obligated to warn others about him.

Suz said...

Thanks for your comments. Fiona, you hit the proverbial nail on its proverbial head. A large chunk of Perilous Play is basically a cautionary tale. And Trapper got far less than what he deserved.