Home

Monday, July 11, 2016

The Miss Havana Novels

            “My patience wears thin for the blight known as Miss Havana. Those who mock me, the magnificent Lucifer, are inevitably rewarded with everlasting pain, and she is on extremely thin ice, assuming that phrase can be applied in my home. If she doesn’t rein in her insolent nature soon, she’ll learn the hard way I can be her worst nightmare.

            “She seems harmless sitting in the blue-black slime one step below the level of my feet with her empty-headed gaze fixed on Mr. Grossweed’s file while he shakes uncontrollably and wets himself, but I know the depravity of her soul. Contrary to popular belief, I do not relish the misfortunes of others, nor do I dwell on the unfortunate outcomes of individual choices. However, I must judge her someday, just as I judge Mr. Grossweed now, and that gives me pause.

            “I tolerate Miss Havana because of her delectable exterior and ironic view of eternal judgment, but I sense danger in her, an evil nature that forces me to continuously review the five years prior to her arrival here. She fascinates me. Even now I reflect on how this innocent-looking substitute teacher came to be enmeshed in my afterlife, if for no other reason than to steel myself against her antics.”

Thus begins four novels of dark comedy that depicts the eternal battle between good and evil. There is a twist in these novels, however, because Miss Havana, initially known as the substitute teacher from Redmond High School, can, in some situations, “out evil” the devil himself. The Miss Havana comedy series is a racy romp through the end of Miss Havana’s many lives as she exercises her eternal need to nettle Old Nick and to secure the throne of evil “below”. Through many life and death experiences, she wreaks havoc on the devil and his plans for controlling “the surface”. In some cases, she also finds herself in direct contact with God, and, over time, she becomes a better spirit because of it, further riling the muddy waters that engulf her and the underworld that seeks to subjugate her.
 
If you like off-beat comedy, you will love snickering your way heaven and hell as you’ve never imagined them. Try any of the novels; you’ll be glad you did.

Thanks for reading,

James L. Hatch





3 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Love these books, James. Hope you and your wife are faring well.

jean hart stewart said...

Love your imagination!!!!

James L. Hatch said...

Hi Jean and Tina:

First, Meredith is doing as well as can be expected. We have her on some experimental medicine that is giving her more alertness. Of course, nothing stops the brain cell death, but the meds are supposed to let her be "her" as long as possible. When they stop working, we will lose her. I appreciate your good wishes. 1.4 million people in the USA have the disease at this time, but I fear there is a tsunami of Lewy Body Disease dementia coming to our nation as the baby boomers age.

Thank you for the good words about the Miss Havana series as well. When things settle down here, whatever that means, I suspect I will write the last two novels in that series. A few choice quotes would be, "What do you have against him except that he's a drug addict?" and "Go gargle with rat poison and die." Those are tailor made for the next novel, "Sisters".

Have a great day,
James L. Hatch