Home

Monday, June 13, 2016

Editors... The Unsung Heroes with @AuthorNicMorgan


Welcome to Sweet N Sexy Divas, I'm your tour host for the day. So sit back, prop up your feet and get comfy. I'm about to give you some ideas to keep the romance alive in your summer vacation...



Editors... The Unsung Heroes of Publishing 

As an author, I feel safe to speak for the overall author community in saying that we all put our hearts and souls into our books. Whether we are writing a short story, a novella or a full length novel, we take time and care in what we write. However, even with all of the love and attention we put into our words we simply aren’t perfect and we will more often than not make mistakes. 

This is where our editors come in. Can they frustrate us at times? Well of course, we’re human and sometimes those editor notes are their opinion on what they think may work better. I’m sure we’ve all felt, at least once, that twinge of annoyance when we read a comment or suggestion in the track changes column. The fact of the matter is their thoughts are always with the best of intentions to make our books become the best they can possibly be. 

The very first time I had a professional editor read one of my books I almost cried when I saw the myriad of track changes in the right column of the screen. Page after page there were comments and suggestions. My biggest problem appeared to be switching between the characters points of view. It was a nightmare trying to correct all the mistakes I made in that first book. It took me forever (or at least it seemed that way) to complete that first round. When I finally turned hose edits in, I prayed that they would be good and correct my obvious transgressions in the fine art of storytelling. 

Looking back on this experience I have to say, my editor had the patience of a saint to sit down and make as many notations as she did so that I would learn the proper way to tell a story so it doesn’t leave the reader’s head spinning.  Thankfully the patience of that editor has taught me so much. I now am confident that my new works I submit don’t have the point of view shifting problem. I proudly have earned my degree in POV 101 so now future editors no longer have to pull their hair out in frustration. 

With all that being said, I know not all editor suggestions are right. One thing I am confident of is that they are all well intentioned. In fact, very rarely do I not take the advice my editors. So, while I have been fortunate to work with some fantastic publishers, cover artists as well as authors, I would be remiss if I didn’t give kudos to my editors. They are the ones who help buff the scuff marks out of my books and make them shine. 

~ Nic


Dominant Persuasions
Twelve tales of Dominance and submission, where mastery meets passion.

12 Scintillating tales of Dominance and submission as told by your favorite Amazon, NYT & USA Today Bestselling Authors.
In a world of power plays, and safewords, only the strongest can find pleasure in submission. From strangers passing in the night, to lifetime loves that spark with new life; join us in the intriguing world of BDSM. No is not a safeword, and this deal is only available for a limited time!


Buy Links:

Kobo: https://goo.gl/AB0vbD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Find all of my other books on any of these fine retailers: 



Wait there's more! Here's a FREEBIE...



Brand New Romance Catalog! FREE FOR YOU!
Indulge in this decadent collection of Teasers and Tastes from some of today’s hottest romance authors in a variety of romance genres including Billionaires, Cowboys, Super Steamy Romance, Firefighters, Historical Romance, Holiday Romance, Mechanics, Motorcycle Clubs, Men in Uniform and Military Romance, Paranormal Romance, SciFi & Fantasy Romance, Romantic Comedy, Romantic Suspense/Mystery, Hot SEALs, Time Travel, Vacation Romance, Vampires and more!
This catalog includes excerpts from more than 20 bestselling and award-winning romance authors. If you enjoy the excerpt, you know you’re going to love the book! Follow the Amazon links to snag a guaranteed good read and sign up for the author’s newsletter so you never miss future releases, contests or appearances.
Please share with your friends!

GET IT NOW:
  

T
hank You for joining me today! I'll see you all next month on the 13th. Have a great month and remember to be SWEET and SEXY


Nicole Morgan is an author of erotic romance novels, which more often than not have a suspenseful back story. Erotic romance mixed with good old-fashioned whodunit. While she's written everything from contemporary to paranormal her leading men will more than likely be wearing a uniform of some kind. From military to police officers, she has a love for writing about those who protect and serve. From her very first novel about Navy SEALs to her more recent releases you will be sure to find a few twists and turns you were not expecting.

She also has a recurring monthly column in Book & Trailer Showcase's eMagazine, is a proud member of the Romance Books 4 Us Gold Authors and also one of the Sweet N Sexy Divas.  

Find out more about Nicole and her books by visiting her websiteblogGoogle + PageTwitterFacebook and her Yahoo Group, Nicole’s Think Tank.

Until next month lovies ~ Nic 

2 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Great post, Nic, and I agree. My editors have taught me so much. Couldn't do without them.

Fiona McGier said...

See I'm not so convinced that giving different point of view is confusing. I do it occasionally, and find having to give a chapter to each character to be intrusive to the flow of the story.

But you're right about the fact that no matter how hard we work to send in a perfect manuscript, it can always be improved upon. I learned that with my very first book, that I had read and reread hundreds of times, my editors went over twice, and after it was printed my daughter pointed out that she found 3 typos in English, and 2 in my espaƱol. Sigh.

An editor friend of mine years ago told me that I'm a very good writer in need of a very good editor. True words!