Home

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Writing News by Harlie Williams



Hold me!  Seriously, hold me.  I actually have writing news.  I have submitted a story to Harlequin's Heartwarming line and a ghost story to the Wild Rose Press.  Both stories are sweet, no sex and the Harlequin submission has the potential for a second book.  

I know what you are thinking?  Harlie, you write?  Yes, I do.  I have about 3 other works in progress.  I have come to the realization that has much as I love to read smexy stories, I can't write them.  I tried and failed.  For a couple of years that mindset of "trying" to write smexy was the only way to go, I decided that if I was ever going to write again I needed to stop thinking that way.  So guess what?  I stopped and the words started to flow.  I know that I don't boast about my writing or non-writing but I'm pretty excited.

True I have submitted to Harlequin before and the rejection was swift.  The editors comments were kind and not harsh.  I went back and read them.  Of course, 3 years ago it stung.  Now it makes sense.  I can write a story, just not the smexy stuff.  And you know what, that's okay and I'm okay with that aspect.  Looking back at my reading habits it was about 3 years ago when that changed.  I don't read the really hot smexy stuff anymore and I'm okay with that.  Unfortunately, my writing mind had NOT shut that off yet.  I was still in the mindset that I HAD to write smexy for anyone to read my stuff.  

Now, will the rejections hurt, if they come?  Sure but at least I've moved on and realized that someone eventually will like my work.  It takes time and perseverance.  I'm up for the challenge.

Heck, I substitute teach for a living.  I'm used to the unknown.  It only makes you stronger.





And yes, it is baseball season!  WOO HOO!!!  I'm in my happy place.  




5 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Congrats, Harlie - keeping my fingers crossed for you. :)

jean hart stewart said...

Wonderful...Just keep writing girl. You're good.

Harlie Williams said...

Thank you so much @Jean Hart. I'm excited.

@Tina Thank you very much. I'll need the luck.

Harlie

Krista said...

Yay! I am so proud of you, you did it, I knew you had it in you! Miss you loads!

Sandra Lowrey said...

Congrats Harlie,good luck and fingers & toes crossed. <3