Home

Sunday, April 3, 2016

A Woman's Words

Naturally I have to begin my monthly contribution to this blog with the cover of my latest book.  Guilty Secrets is no. 34, according to my count. It's a delicious historical set in the period after Waterloo and is full of action, love, mystery and not one but three villains.  Hey, what else do you guys want?

I've been perusing a great book, I can't say reading it, although I am, but in snatches. It's simply too much to read at once and take in all you admire. It's called "Women of Words" by Janet Bukovinsky, and the lives and examples of their writing make for fascinating stories. Mary Wollstonecraft, Jane Austen, Emily Bronte, Virginia Wolfe, Toni Morrison, and so many more!!  The biographies are beautifully encapsulated, and the samples of these author's writing are commanding.  I highly recommend it. I bought it at the lovely second hand book store I frequent.

The book makes plain how stealing time to write was so often a problem, much more so as it is today. Now we usually have some supporting people surrounding us, some of these brave women had none. Especially interesting is that all these women were inspired by books. Most of them came from households where books were counted as important. Minister's children, teacher's, scientists, most of them had encouragement from the males of their households. Now we take that for granted, but it certainly wasn't always so.  We are lucky in more than one way to be living when women are gaining recognition every day.

Too many women have been forced to hide that they were writers. Their lives demanded they cover their talent in silence.  Again, we women of today are lucky.

Of course I hope you get Guilty Secrets, and if you do, please let me know. I love to talk to readers.
You can find me at MuseItUp, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and of course my own website, www.jeanhartstewart.com.

'Til next month, when who knows what crazy subject I'll pursue.

2 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

I read Toni Morrison's Tar Baby. Wow, what style. She's one of a kind. Also read Beloved. That one didn't do it for me. Too disjointed.

Guilty Secrets looks delish, Jean. May you burn up the net with your sales. :)

jean hart stewart said...

Thanks, Tina. Toni Morrison really puts her heart into her writing.