Home

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Flotsum and Jetsum about books.

Some very interesting statistics in the news lately.

USA Today reports that according to Statista.com,  $5.5 billion was spent last year on eBooks  in the U.S., which is over 4 times more than in Japan, the next-biggest-selling market.  That's a whole lot of 99 cent novels and novellas!

On the other hand, more depressing statistics about the average adult in the US not having read an entire book in the past year.  Sigh.  That must mean that the ones who DO read, are voracious consumers of their favorite genre, which is?  Romance, of course.

And if the average US adult isn't reading, who is?


Finland is the most literate country in the world, according to a new report from Central Connecticut State University. The World’s Most Literate Nations led by John W. Miller, president of Central Connecticut State University, revealed that Norway, Iceland, Denmark, and Sweden were also among the most well-read countries globally. The United States ranked at No. 7.The report analyzed reading habits in more than 60 countries.This is from a report by
 Dianna Dilworth 


4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Great article, Fiona - depressing news that few are reading in this country. However, I wonder how many people have ever read in the US. In high school, that's all I did was read. None of my friends did. They were into sports. I tend to think reading has always been more a hobby than a passion for most people.

As to the serial comma. I'm seeing it both ways. At one of my publishers, on the first edit my editor said that the publisher was now using serial commas, so the editor put them into the ms. Then on the final line edit, that editor took them all out. I had to get clarification before accepting those changes so we wouldn't have to go through it again. Either way works for me.

Daryl Devore said...

I detest the Oxford comma - my editor loves it. I told editor I detest it and she - Okay - I'll stop inserting into the edits.
I know a persona can write a sentence that make the comma look like it's absolutely necessary - I've seen the memes, but truth be told - meh.

Also I can believe the average person hasn't read a book. My husband rarely reads and he is an intelligent person. Now if it is a computer technical manual - he's all over it - but give the book a plot and he won't touch it.
Good post.
Tweeted.

jean hart stewart said...

All of these comments are kinda depressing. As a reader who is never content without having a new book in hand, I don't understand people who don't read. Know and love a lot of them, though.

Fiona McGier said...

Hi Tina, yes, I was always in a book also. I always talk to the kids who have their noses in books in classes I sub for, asking them what they like to read, and if they write. I've encouraged many to submit their scribblings to e-mags and various contests, like the EPIC one called "New Voices", that's about done being judged for the year. Many have done so, and many let me read their stuff, even if they're not ready to share it anywhere else. Some very good poetry, and a few stunningly good short stories. The youth of today is writing...that is the ones who are word-oriented.

Hi Daryl, my husband is an engineer. He reads in spurts. Sometimes he reads nothing for long stretches, then he'll be "on-fire" and read constantly for a while. Introduce your husband to Christopher Moore's books. We even attended a signing with him, so husband could meet him and have him autograph a book. Very quirky, funny books.

Hi Jean, yeah, my kids tease me because they regard running as essential to a good life. I reserve that place in my regard for reading. At least one of my sons is an excellent writer, though he's a scientist for his day job. I tried all kinds of tricks to instill a love of reading in all of my kids. I think it worked. We'll see. I think it has to be inculcated into them when they are very young. Most kids think of reading as a chore, a task they have to do for school, but will never do again once they don't have to. That kind of attitude is anathema to me...I just don't understand how they process their life experiences without the insights to be gotten from reading.