Home

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!  I don't make resolutions at all.  I never have.  Why promise to do something and fail at it before February?  Not me.  I do however, try to be a better person, parent, spouse, daughter.

The last 3 years have been trying at times.  I haven't worked full time since we moved and financially, we taken a hit and continue to do so.  I do substitute teach but its not the full time permanent position that I want and need.  Yes, want.  I've done the stay at home gig and while I love spending with my son, he's getting older and doesn't need me that much anymore.  I know that I've talked about this before on the blog so I won't bore you again.

What I would like to see happen this year for me and my family are as follows:

1.  Hubby taking more time off to spend with the family.  He didn't take a lot of time off this past year (lost vacation days) and it was felt throughout the family.

2.  Brian to continue to grow and make me laugh.  He is my best friend (sorry hubs) and makes me laugh every day.

3.  Finish writing a book.  Yes, I have two that I can finish but finding the motivation and time is tough.

4.  Since I've backed off from social media, I will continue to do so.  Facebook is a time suck for me but a necessary evil for the blogger in me.

5.  Decide once and for all what I want to be when I grow up.

I wish everyone a great 2016 and keep on writing.


4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Hope 2016 is better for you, Harlie, and all your dreams come true. :)

jean hart stewart said...

I think deciding where you want to go is the big one. Once you settle on that it will get easier.

Harlie Williams said...

Thanks @Tina and @Jean.

Harlie

Fiona McGier said...

(Waves hand), been subbing for 12 years now! Once upon a time I hoped it would lead to a full-time teaching job, but I've aged out of any consideration. My only consolation is that I've produced 4 wonderful and productive citizens who all use their brains for something other than keeping their ears separated.

We give lip service to valuing moms who stay at home, but refuse to take them seriously as professionals when they seek to find employment after being at home for a while. Did you hear about the study done by an international organization that had European women come to the US to study our equality practices? The women were shocked that we provide no paid maternity leave, and no guarantee of employment afterwards. What else is a society for, except to produce more citizens to keep itself alive?

But we pay lip service to kids, saying we value them. If that were true, their teachers would be highly paid and respected professionals; and no kids would go without food and clothing. Instead we care more about filling the bank accounts of the uber-rich, all the while blathering about how civic-minded we are. The hypocrisy is astounding.

I hope you find employment you enjoy, or get used to working 2 or more part-time gigs, like I do. And I hope your husband finally gets to take some time off. We're also the only developed country that provides NO paid vacation for many employees, and cares nothing about their quality of life. And continue to take pride in your son. You done good, gal, staying home with him. He will be a quality adult whose behavior reflects the time and care you provided for him.

Hugs!