Home

Friday, January 8, 2016

A Resolution for Bliss

It’s that time of year again. The time for New Year’s resolutions.

Normally I have a lot of resolutions. Most years between five and nine. Yes, that might sound like a lot, but it’s not as bad as it sounds. First of all, some are very loose, like do more for the environment. If I just manage to use a few less paper towels or recycle some more, I’ve completed that goal. Others can be completed, like clean out the garage, in one weekend, which makes them easier to keep and gives you plenty of opportunities to fulfill.

But mostly, I’m a very goal oriented person. I thrive on setting goals and making them happen. I constantly make goals for myself. Goals of how much money I want to save. How much I want to write or publish. How I want to get healthier, or how much weight I want to lose. I don’t dislike having a goal. In fact I love it. It gives me something to focus on, something to strive for.

This year however I’ve decided to do something different. Instead of having tons of resolutions (those goals will come throughout the year, I have no doubt), I have just one resolution. To try and bring more happiness into my life.

Now this may seem like an easy goal. Of course we all want to be happy. Why wouldn’t I be doing this anyway? But as much as it might seem obvious, its not necessarily my strong suit. Being a big fan of goals, means also being good at putting off pleasure in the pursuit of a larger goal. While these larger goals do give me pleasure, I can often get lost in not enjoying the process along the way. Or finding little ways to bring more pleasure into my life as I pursue those goals. This year, I want to change this.

This whole idea started with a post I saw on pinterest about twenty seven ways to make yourself happier today. I assumed upon reading the title that the twenty seven items would be ethereal ideas, like be grateful more, or mediate every day. While these are great ideas, they aren’t exactly concrete or necessary easy to employ, given everything else we have to do throughout our busy days. But I clicked on the article anyway, and was surprised to see a list of very logical easy to do things that I could incorporate into my every day, like drink more tea and light more candles (both of which I have been trying to apply).

The idea of this blog stuck with me, and I started to think of more things in my life that give me happiness. My writing is definitely something that brings me great joy, but I have a tendency to get so caught up in meeting goals or publishing deadlines that I don’t enjoy it as much as I should. I love going to a coffee shop and writing for a few hours. Just immersing myself in my work. Yet I don’t do it very often, besides Nanowrimo. I love running, but find many reason to not go for a run, including not having enough time or not being in the right place. Logical reasons, but excuse not to be happy all the same

So this year I’ve decided to focus on doing the things that make me happy, knowing the other goals will follow after. This is my year of no more excuses to prevent happiness. I’m going to try and go to a coffee shop to write more, setting aside time to do it once a week, just because I want to. I plan to take my lunches at work, no matter what anyone else thinks of me, and spend the time de-stressing and doing something I enjoy, like writing, reading or exercising—because it makes me happy. I’m going to light candles, and spend time on my porch, and cuddle with my cat all night long, if that makes me happy, and ignore all the other responsibilities I have. The dishes will wait until I get back from writing session, the vacuuming with hold one more day while I go for a nice jog.

And while this resolution may result in some large changes in my life, I’m not focusing on big changes this year. I’m focused on small changes, little things, which we all know, in the end result in a big change. Especially in me.

So what is your new years resolutions? Hopefully its something that brings you happiness. Share your goal below and we can cheer each other on. I wish you a fantastic and blissful 2016.

1 comment:

Tina Donahue said...

What a great resolution, Willa. Once you're happy, everything falls into place. Hope 2016 is a grand year for you. :)