Home

Friday, October 2, 2015

On the Run Blogtour - Creating the Muse Aiden Moriarty Part 1



Being an author has its perks; getting beautiful covers with your name on it, have readers talk about your books, and yeah, that little thing called royalties, yes that’s wonderful too. But, I think the best thing about it is coming up with the stories and/or the characters. Creating something in your own words that may or may not have been done before, more importantly, conveying a message to anyone that’ll listen. Yes, I love all of that, but my favorite part of that process is building a character and for this particular book, On the Run, I came up with two.

In this two part series, starting on SNSD and continuing on Romance Novels in Color October 14th, I’ll explain the reasons I picked my two characters, Aiden Moriarty and Devlin “Brit” Crawford as well as some highlights about each of them.

Let’s start with my “face” for Aiden, Matt Bomer.

(Note: No images are mine)

* * * *

Matt Bomer
Not sure what it was in particular about Matt that screamed Aiden for me. The captivating blue eyes, the sleek body, the gorgeous movie star face. A lot of male models and or actors have that, but something about Matt said pick me to be the “herbalist” who wanted more out of life and risked his own to get it.

To get a sense of what I wanted for Aiden, I watched a few episodes of his show White Collar. Though he plays a straight man, I desired Aiden to be the same kind of smooth talker he plays in that show. Seemingly, a lot of what he said got him out of intense situations, but unlike Neal Caffrey, Aiden isn’t as smart or as graceful. Instead, I wanted more of a ‘slimy’ type, but I didn’t want him to ‘look’ the part. Watching someone who looks like Matt, you might night think he wouldn't be capable of doing such seedy things, but instead, he’s more than, and he’s fooled just about everyone whose come in contact with him.

In this story, Aiden plays a dangerous game. He’s way in over his head and now he needs help getting out. No one wants to help him, even the guys supposed to protect him from harm, and now he feels he’s come close to meeting his demise.

For whatever reason, looking at pictures of Matt meant creating a character in need. He’s masculine, but somewhat timid. Seeking adventure and love without a clue of where to find it. Aiden isn’t afraid to admit he might be scared, but he doesn’t allow it to get to him. Instead, he takes that fear and uses it like adrenaline. He may not be the strongest guy in stature, but he’s willing to take all comers head on.
Matt Bomer

I truly loved writing Aiden while crafting this book. To me he represented a character with a checkered past who wanted to make good and find a partner in the process. I enjoy writing men and women who might have something to hide and wish to redeem themselves during a story, and without giving away any spoilers, I believe Aiden did exactly what I set out for him to do from the start.





* * * *

PROTEKT SERIES BLURB

Living a double life is very dangerous…

Even more so when higher authorities and military agencies are envious of the position you hold and the money you make.

In the life of a PROTEKT agent, intelligence is key and the knowledge of guns must be second nature. Their sole mission—to get the job done swiftly with little mistakes. They’re paid well to handle all situations and hired to do things their own way, often disregarding the laws. Chief Wes gives them this freedom because being ruthless is usually required to finish the job.

When the world’s governments have run out of options, they request the assistance of PROTEKT to handle the situations no one else is able to solve. Only one thing could stand in the way of the agents success—his or her own desires for permanent companionship.

Tagline: Who would’ve thought that a British hit man would fall in lust at first sight with an American felon? This desire could become deadly for both. 



Blurb: Aiden Moriarty is a Florida ‘herbalist’ who developed a performance enhancing drug many athletes have used. One of them is baseball star Ivan Salerno, who was caught using the drugs and is now on the brink of getting suspended. Because of Ivan’s connections with a rogue mob boss, Aiden is taken into a witness protection program, working along with baseball higher ups until he testifies.

The mob boss, Augustine Ora, has hired former British military officer and his best hitman, Devlin ‘Brit’ Crawford, to do the job. Ora has instructed Devlin to go to Miami, kidnap Aiden and take him to the local airport to be transported to Havana ,Cuba, to be executed by Ora’s top officers.

However, when Devlin receives the email, the pictures of the blue-eyed felon catch his eye and he is moved to go in a different direction. Instead of delivering Aiden to the airport, he has thoughts of taking him away and saving him from Ora’s wrath.

This move puts him, Aiden, as well as his assistant Miranda Ashley in huge danger. Will Devlin keep Aiden safe despite the odds or will he fail, causing Ora and his men come after him?

Links


Excerpt

Aiden grimaced and turned away, avoiding Brit’s heated stare. He really didn’t like talking much about himself because other than the scheme with performance-enhancing drugs, there was nothing to tell.
“Um, well…” Aiden rubbed the back of his neck and sighed.
“Well? I know there’s more to you, Aiden. You said you used to work with herbs, right?”
“Yeah, but only because my friend taught me everything I know. I’m not the brightest bulb in the package, but people always tell me I act smart.”
Devlin chuckled, “Yes, well, not this time—playing around with a crude mobster like Augustine Ora.”
“I had no clue Salerno was friends with a ruthless character like him until later, okay? Like I told you, I had a boring life, working as a clerk, making no money whatsoever.”
“Was that a good enough reason to turn into a felon dealing illegal pharmaceuticals?”
“No, but it was different, right?” He added a chuckle. “At first I thought it was cool to be helping people achieve their dreams and to be getting paid so well for it, then I started feeling guilty, especially with the youngsters. Several of these kids’ parents bought the shit from me, paying top dollar to dope them up so they could go to the pros. They’d tell me, ‘Oh it’s just this once to get him over the hump.’”
“Jesus. Seriously?” Devlin shook his head in disgust.
“Yep. They wanted their kids to get noticed so badly that they’d do just about anything. After, like, the tenth kid I said no more of that. I’m only dealing with the pros. I hated feeling like the guy that got these youngsters all juiced up just to be picked for their sports. I mean, I’m sure they had some issues afterward. That shit doesn’t come without consequences.”
“And you were putting their lives in danger.”
“Exactly. With the grown men, not so much, because they made the decision themselves. Still, I cut down my clients because the supply my friends were churning out didn’t meet the demand. Honestly, I didn’t have to do a lot of selling once I got Salerno and a couple other big time athletes.”
“I bet.”
Aiden nodded. “I mean, if you had the chance to make, like, nine to twelve thousand for just sticking a needle in the most popular baseball player in the world, wouldn’t you do it too?”
“Probably.” Devlin stroked his beard. “I don’t doubt your motives, Aiden, but I wish you would’ve been more careful with who you’re dealing with. Ora is quite the dangerous man.”
“Yeah, I know, but like I said, I knew nothing of this guy when Salerno and I first met. After the poker games and shit, I started getting unknown calls. Someone broke into my lab, my apartment. Salerno warned me to watch my back, but I thought he was just playing around until—”
“Until?” Devlin cocked an eyebrow at him and twisted his lips.
“Until they went after my friend Brian one night. They followed him home and roughed him up good, asking for information, and he wouldn’t bend. Broke three of his ribs, his nose, gave him two black eyes. Those sons of bitches beat up an innocent man just to get at me. That’s when I decided it was time to get some help and tell my side of the story.”
“And then you did the television news show.”
“Yep.” Aiden bit on the inside of his cheek and exhaled. “That was a big mistake, too, but I did get baseball’s attention in doing it.”
“Well, Aiden, it appears you got what you wished for—more excitement, more money, definitely less boring.”

* * * *


Bios 




Michael Mandrake pens complex characters already comfortable with their sexuality. Thorough these, he builds worlds not centered on erotica but rather the mainstream plots we might encounter in everyday life through personal experiences or the media. To find out more please visit Michael Mandrake at Wordpress

Author Sharita Lira: In one word, crazy. Just crazy enough to have 3 4 different muses running around in her head, driving her to sheer exhaustion with new plot bunnies and complex characters.

In addition to being a computer geek and a metalhead, Sharita loves live music, reading, and perusing the net for sexy men to be her muses. She’s also a founding member and contributor to the heavy metal ezine Fourteeng.net.

For more information, please visit http://www.thelitriad.com as well as her Facebook fanpage, The Literary Triad.

Links

The Literary Triad - http://www.thelitriad.com/#!

Michael Mandrake – http://michaelmandrake.wordpress.com

Pinterest - http://www.pinterest.com/authorslira/

Instagram - http://instagram.com/sharitalira/

Ello - https://ello.co/srlmort71

Twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/rawiyamikembl

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/TheLiteraryTriad

Goodreads – Michael M https://www.goodreads.com/MichaelMandrake Signup for Newsletter

2 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

I love Matt Bomer. Didn't like his series at all, but watched so I could drool over him. LOL - great excerpts! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Tina. I liked the series. I'd like to watch more episodes.