Home

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Little Known Facts and What's Coming Up

Outside of the fact that I write dirty,dirty romance novels, most of you don't know a whole lot about me. I thought I'd rectify that by sharing my OTHER great love (aside from family, friends, books and reading) with you today. Cooking. Today I'll share my Homemade Ravioli with Smoked Gouda sauce.

But first, my status update ;)

Over the next month I've got two books coming out. I'm part of a fantastic anthology with Jennifer Denys, Tina Donahue and Bella Settarra called Men for Hire. This anthology features four sexy stories about what happens when women use a contract service to hire a few good men for some odd jobs. Turns out that these steamy hunks really have a hands-on approach!



And.. coming soon to Evernight Publishing...

Trouble Walked In. It's the first in my brand new shifter series, The Forsaken Few. The entire series will focus around a makeshift pack of otherwise disowned or abandoned shifters in the town of Lorelei, Florida. In this first installment:

The moment Moira Devereaux walks into his bar, Shapeshifter Ronan Kelly knows she's going to be trouble. No matter how tempting she is, he won't risk the safety of his makeshift pack. He has every intention of sending her on her way until he hears her compelling story.

When Moira's father, the mayor of Lorelei, tries to force her to wed a man she doesn't know, she runs to one place he won't follow. The local shifter bar. Nothing could have prepared her for the immediate attraction she feels for the owner, Ronan.


In a moment of weakness, Ronan offers her a job and a place to stay despite his misgivings. No one is more shocked than he is when he discovers that she's his mate. Will he be able to convince her that he's worth taking a risk on or will he be forced to let her go?  


AND FINALLY, I'm working on the second book in the Transfigured Ones series. Magnus Corbett and Caroline Lundquist are thrown together to come up with a line of gin drinks and a matching tasting menu for Lilly's new restaurant, Usquebaugh. When Magnus, the head chef inadvertently insults the bar manager Caroline, sparks fly. Forced to work together, their animosity quickly turns to raw lust. This should be to the publisher within the next week or two. :)


Because Magnus is a chef, it actually got my thinking about cooking.. which is where this recipe comes in. Give it a try. It's so damn good.

Ricotta and Mushroom Stuffed Ravioli in a Smoked Gouda Sauce
Filling:
1 small container bella mushrooms, stems trimmed
1/2 cup ricotta
2 sprigs fresh oregano
3 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Liberal amounts of salt/pepper
Pasta:
2 cups semolina flour (AP works too)
2 eggs
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp salt
Warm water
Sauce:1 cup milk
6 oz grated smoked gouda, shredded
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp butter
Salt/Pepper to taste
1 small roma tomato, diced
To prepare dough:
I typically do this in a giant bowl because I don’t want to chisel egg crust off my counter, but, totally up to you.
Pour flour into a large bowl, make a well in the center. Dump in 2 eggs, slightly beaten, salt, and the olive oil. Use a fork to combine it all. It should most likely be rather crumbly at this point. Add small portions of water until the dough comes together. It should be somewhat sticky, but not super wet… like, you know.. dough. :-D  Let rest for 1/2 hour under a damp towel.
To prepare filling:
Chop mushrooms and garlic into food processor sized pieces. Process on low speed until things look minced but not like cat food. Chop the oregano by hand, add in the ricotta, salt, red pepper flakes. You may need to drain this a bit, as the mushrooms will likely give off some water which is ravioli-making’s arch nemesis.

To prepare ravioli:
Roll out flour into thin sheets. 1/8 inch at most. Hopefully at this point you’ve got some means to make the ravioli. I have one of those old fashion metal dye sets. I just slap the dough on it, put the filling in, brush a little water on the edges so they seal, Slap the cover on, and roll it out. It makes 12 at a time. I got it at a restaurant supply store, but I’m sure kitchen supply stores like Williams Sonoma will be happy to rip you off for one. :-D
Boil until it floats, strain it into a colander.
To prepare sauce:
Put butter into a small sauce pan, melt it. Add flour. Whisk furiously until it's a smooth paste. Add milk and seasoning. Once the milk thickens, add cheese and stir until melted. Pour lovingly over plated pasta. Add a chopped tomato over the top for color along with some fresh herbs like thyme.
It seems involved but really only takes about an hour.



4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Great recipe - wish I liked to cook. Better still, wish I had a hot guy cooking for me. Super excited about the Men for Hire antho. Can't wait! Congrats on your other publishing feats! :)

jean hart stewart said...

That sounds wonderful, and once I would have jumped at trying it out. I no longer cook like that, but sometimes wish I still did. Much continued luck with your career...

Fiona McGier said...

That sauce sure sounds yummy! I'm always on the look-out for quick and tasty pasta sauces, since I hate the jarred stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle Roth said...

Same here, Tina. I'm thrilled to be involved in the project with all you guys. <3

Jean, I used to be much more into the whole cooking thing, but health concerns kind of put me off it. I only go wild like this every so often now. ;)

Fiona - It really is! And it's pretty simple to make, too. The jarred stuff is OK in a pinch, but I find myself adding herbs and seasoning to get it to a palatable point. You're welcome!