Home

Monday, August 3, 2015

Do you like Oscar Wilde????

I love Oscar Wilde.   Often misunderstood, and certainly persecuted because of his homosexuality, he remained gay, witty and startling in his conversation. George Bernard Shaw wrote that he was the greatest conversationalist of his time, perhaps of all time. To those of you unacquainted with his writings and his life, do read about him. There was never anyone like him, and might never be again. A brilliant man.

Here are a few quotes:

1.  Men become old, but they never become good.

2.  I sometimes think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.

3.  Women are never disarmed by compliments. Men always are.

4.  Give me the luxuries, and anyone can have the necessities.

5.  To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.

6.  Men always want to be a woman's first love. Women have a more subtle instinct. What they want is to be a man's last.

7.  Knaves know how to look honest so that honest men are forced to look like knaves to be different.

8.  One should never give a woman anything she can't wear in the evening. 

9.  He hasn't a single redeeming vice.

10.  After a good dinner one can forgive anyone, even one's own relations.

I found these and literally hundreds more in a book called 'The Wit and Humor of Oscar Wilde" edited by Alvin Redman. Do you have a favorite quote?  If you comment and tell me yours I'll tell you mine!

I'm writing a new book, a shorty with a wonderful Regency hero. My books can be found at all the usual places, Amazon, Kindle, Ellora's Cave, MuseItUp, and of course my own website. www/jeanhartstewart.com 

4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

These are great, Jean - I especially like #6 - 6. Men always want to be a woman's first love. Women have a more subtle instinct. What they want is to be a man's last.

I believe Oscar Wilde also said this - the story goes that he was in a room with someone and that person asked, "Do you mind if I smoke?" He responded, "I don't care if you burn."

:)

jean hart stewart said...

I think I'd have to pick no. 2. "I sometimes think that God, in creating man. somewhat overestimated his ability." I've got a whole book of these, you might see more. Thanks for commenting...

Fiona McGier said...

"Wickedness is a myth invented by good people to account for the curious attractiveness of others." Seems the judgmental folks have always been with us, eh? Luckily we've always had folks like Oscar Wilde to put them in their places.

jean hart stewart said...

His perspicacious comments cover every situation..Such a genius.Thanks for coming!