Home

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Writing Underway

After taking a mental break for a while, as I discussed my May post, I'm finally working on a romance again. A male/male, part of my Can't Drag Me Down series with Loose Id. (At least I hope it'll be part of that series, though that will depend on whether it's accepted, obviously.)

It's been much slower going than my usual first drafts. I'm still sorting through some of the things that led to me taking a break in the first place, and I'm really out of practice at writing romances. I went through three beginnings before I finally found one that worked, and I admit to kind of half-you-know-whatting the sex scenes I've done so far because I'm just having trouble getting my head into the game when it comes to writing about sex.

I'll be fixing those up when I revise the manuscript. Right now, it's a matter of getting through the first draft. When you're writing the first draft of anything, it's okay to half things. Or to start over three times before you get it right. Or to give up entirely and do something else instead.

That's advice I've been giving since my days as a teacher, when I had to remind students that the whole point of revising was because the first draft wasn't meant to be perfect. Now that I'm having to take my own advice, it isn't so easy.

But I'll get there. I hope to have the story finished before next month's post, when I'll also share more details of the plot since I have the feeling the plot's going to change a bit between now and then. Meanwhile, happy June!

2 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

The important thing is that you keep trying, Karenna. Glad to hear you're back at the keyboard. :)

jean hart stewart said...

Sometimes writing is just damned hard. But then there are the other times when the words just fly. Keep going, girl.