Home

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Summer's here! And random thoughts by Harlie

So my summer has begun.  No more baseball, scouts, and school.  If you have read my posts lately, I've been substituting for our school district since April.  I have enjoyed my time with the kids and staff.  I learned a lot about myself, my own child and what really happens day in and day out at school.

If there is anything that I can say about teachers in general is that they RULE!!!!!  Seriously, they do.  I have even more respect for them now that I've seen the other side of it.  Underpaid, not appreciated enough and dealing with other people's children...its a hard job.  And one that some parents need to see.

We hear horror stories about teachers, school districts, etc. and yes, they do exist, sad to say.  But what about the staff that pays for a lunch for a child and then gets fired for it?  Yes, rules are rules but seriously?  You would let a child not eat because of a rule?  We don't have that problem in our district.  We are not a rich district but one that takes care of its own.

So why am I talking about this?  Because I think that every parent needs to at least volunteer at their schools for one day.  Work the book fair.  Substitute teach, participate in your parent/teacher organization.  Don't ignore the notes, papers, emails that are sent to you.  Go to the district's web page.  Read, browse and see what is happening with your child.  Have a voice and let it be heard.

Our district had us vote on our school calendar for next year.  We voted a short Thanksgiving week (instead of the whole week off) so our kids could get out of school in May.  Sounds kinda strange but we actually had 3 snow days to make up and we had to tack them on at the end of the year.  School was officially done on June 5th.  Plus, they built in more snow days just in case we needed them.

So why the long post?  Because I think its necessary parents need to be reminded.  We can complain and bitch about testing (UGH), school lunches (disgusting) but seeing from the inside puts it in a different prospective for you.

On a different note...what's everyone got going for the summer?  Me, vacation in July and watching a neighbor's kid for the summer.  Other than that, working on my YA story that I really need to finish.  I plan on not worrying about this summer and focusing on the day to day.  It seems my stress levels and anxiety evens out when I don't worry.


3 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

I'm tied to my keyboard for the next couple of months getting ms out to meet deadlines. Hope you have a great summer. :)

jean hart stewart said...

Just the feel of summer in the air is enough for me....Love summer!

Fiona McGier said...

I'm only working 1 job during the summer, tutoring a few hours a week. I hope to get lots of writing/promoting done, since I've had ZERO time to do anything writing-related in months! Enjoy your summer, girl! I'm looking forward to doing just that also!