Home

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Revise, Republish - Sharita Lira


These are words most authors may not want to hear. Throughout one’s writing career, many authors are faced with the challenge of redoing a story they probably did years ago. Oh the agony!

*laughs*

Looking at old mistakes and wondering, how the hell did I get this book published? Or, if you’re fortunate, not much is wrong when you look at your old manuscript. Perhaps it just needs some tweaks or here’s the best part, you do nothing, you send the new publisher the information they need and it comes back out PERFECT!

Yeah okay, that doesn’t happen that often, but hey one can dream.


Still, I’ve seen many authors talk about re-doing an old book. They say, what the heck was I thinking? I didn’t know how to place commas? Run on sentences, head hopping, all the things wrong with an old manuscript will probably make your head spin, but no worries authors old and new, this is only part of the growth process. Did you know spotting your own errors shows how far you’ve become as an author? You’ve learned how to become more savvy with grammar, you know that head hopping a hundred different times in a story might be a no-no for your new publisher, and you can tell when you’ve told a lot of the story and not shown a damn thing. Yes, this, my fellow authors is part of the process.

That’s what I was told anyway by many an author and editor. I look at my old manuscripts and I cringe. And don’t get me started on how many I have. Unfortunately, I’ve had two publishers close their doors so all my books with those along with several that outgrew their contracts makes for plenty of redos. A lot of these stories I’d really like to revise and either sub them elsewhere or self-publish them myself. I’ve already started on one and let me tell you, I wish I could just wave my magic wand and it changes. *giggles* That thing is a wreck, but hey, I just keep telling myself, it’s part of my growth as an author and hopefully the second time around, the story will be a lot better.

Any authors seeing this post, share your thoughts about revisions. Do you have the hang-ups about them like I do? And readers, how do you feel about re-reading a book again once it’s been revised?

* * * *


One of my million re-dos is being re-released in July. This book was one of those few that only needed some tweaks and the muse changed. Thank goodness for editors!

And the new cover is GORGEOUS! Coming from Booktrope in July!


Camdyn Hardy is a private investigator who has just suffered a setback. The man he loved left him for a woman after being caught by a client in a heated moment. Now, he's searching for another partner one fully out the closet and willing to work and live together in a committed relationship. Malik Day is newly discharged for beating up a couple of gay bashers when they attacked a closeted cadet. Unfortunately, the money he has saved is not enough to live on his own, and he’s forced to move back in with his bible thumping parents. Their disdain pushes Malik to the brink and he leaves for the shooting range. Afterwards, he meets Camdyn and the two engage in a private conversation. Once they do, Malik discovers Camdyn has the key to his happiness. Though both men know this, they’re unable to make their feelings completely known until the end, when they discover their mutual affection for weapons as well as their desire to play the dangerous game of mixing business with pleasure.



6 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Love the quote. I'm not crazy about revisions - I try to make every ms as perfect as possible before I submit.

Know what you mean when you see a work from long ago and think 'How did anyone stomach this?'

When songs I loved as a teen come on, I'm amazed at the awful the lyrics, music, and execution sounds now. That said, non-writers don't see the mistakes we make. They get caught up in the story. :)

jean hart stewart said...

Hate revisions but know they are necessary....My first book published still sells more than the others. go figure.

S.Lira said...

@Tina. Thanks for the comments as always! I wish I knew at half the things I know now before I started writing. It would make for better manuscripts! ;)

S.Lira said...

@Jean. I do too but ah well. I'm kind of enjoying this one I'm working on

Fiona McGier said...

I actually enjoy revisions. I like rereading my stories and getting reacquainted with heroes I'd forgotten I was in love with. They're like old friends at that point.

I used to think that every word I wrote was gospel and couldn't be changed...ever. Now I realize that NO manuscript is ever really "done". It's never perfect, so it can always be made better.

S.Lira said...

@Fiona

Good point. I should make clear, some of these will be re-written but the same characters, setting, etc. lol

:D