Home

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Writing a YA/NA series - good or bad?

So what's new with me this month?  Still baseball (when its not raining), substitute teaching (LOVE IT) and trying to write.

Yes, believe it or not, I'm trying to write.  I have a YA/NA crossover series that has been in my head for over a year now.   Its a trilogy starting with a pure YA (high school), then YA/NA (college years) and then NA (right after college).  Same couple throughout, too.  The book bible has been written (something I NEVER do) and I've started writing it.  So what's the problem?  Trying to sell it.  Not just to a publisher but the general public.  Most NA's out there don't feature "happy" people.  Something is always wrong with them and they "need" that other person to make them complete.

Well, I remember my college years and my 20's.  I was well adjusted, happy, free and full of life.  Nothing held me back and I didn't need a man to complete me.  In fact, I didn't have a steady boyfriend after the high school sweetheart and I broke up in college.  I had a great job, apartment, friends and a family that loved and supported me.  I had issues like everyone else...rent, paying bills, job issues, etc. but not like the way that NA books have been portraying them over the last couple of years.

Am I stupid to think that two well adjusted people can meet in high school, fall in love in college and then get married and not have the extreme angst that goes along with it?  Sure there is conflict.  My heroine is one grade above the hero and they have distance to deal with until college.  Oh and jealous brother.  That's it.  No drugs, alcohol, abuse, etc.

So again, am I crazy for writing it?  Let me know because I have a friends to lovers story that I need to finish, too.



4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

You have to write what's in your heart. If writers listened to critics around them, we wouldn't have all the diversity in writing that we now have.

Remember, it's just one person's opinion.

jean hart stewart said...

I agree with Tina.. You gotta be you.

Harlie Williams said...

@tina and @jean

Word...I just love the series. :)

Harlie

Fiona McGier said...

Yeah, what Tina and Jean said. I can't possibly write a romance involving a cowboy/highlander/navy seal//billionaire, so I don't try. I have to write the stories my brain gives me. Those are the ones I want to read, so those are the ones I write. I'd love to believe there are some readers out there who like my stuff also. But I can't force myself to write stories I'd never even read.

This "be true to yourself" stuff is great for morale...not so much for the wallet!

Keep at it, Harlie. You know you have stories in you, girl. Write them!