Home

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Sweet Adieu --

It was the March 31, 2012 edition of SweetnSexyDivas  in which I made my debut as one of the (sometimes) maybe sweeter Divas. Being assigned to the 31st of the month meant that I had only to prepare a piece a mere seven times a year. For the most part, I’ve greatly enjoyed this endeavor, especially as it allowed me to speak (mostly) about my favorite genre of reading material – the Regency novel.

I don’t happen to believe that Regency’s last name always has to be ‘Romance’ because sometimes it might be ‘Mystery’ or ‘Steampunk’ or ‘Historical’. Whatever, it was (and still is) the era itself – 1811-1820 – the Society, the people who lived then, and the expansion of multiple facets of the world at that time that grabbed me. Music changed drastically, as did the world of letters. The people who wandered on-stage during this time would have made an impression in any age, but these were truly stellar.

Jane Austen, Lord Byron, Mary Shelley and her husband Percy Bysshe Shelley, Napoleon, the Duke of Wellington, Beethoven, etc.

The first book I wrote was a Regency – Bertie’s Golden Treasure, which was published in June 2007 by Ellora’s Cave under it’s then Cerridwen wing and the Cotillion imprint. Even though the book had been written almost 20 years earlier, and later books had been published in the meantime, the thrill was no less, believe me. Bertie will go out of print for a while this summer – she’s entitled to a brief hiatus, I think.

Last year, Ellora’s Cave made the decision to disband the sweeter Blush (formerly Cerridwen) line in favor of concentrating on their erotic books. I certainly have no complaints about this – I was always treated very well by everyone on their staff. I’ve since published a few novellas on my own, and will most likely continue to do so.

But currently, my attention is being drawn to another type of writing – plays. Over the last few years, I’ve written three full-length plays (under my own name): Puccini: the Man and his Music was given a professional production by Opera Per Tutti, a small opera company based in Cleveland , which recently changed its name to Cleveland Opera Theater.  Our mutual production was about the operas of Giacomo Puccini, and it was a truly major thrill for me.

Some years earlier, More than Strangers was given a staged reading at Karamu Theater here in Cleveland, and in 2010, Not to be Alone was accorded the same privilege at the same theater. 

I am currently working on several other dramatic scripts, and my attention is being sorely divided by all these projects, therefore, with reluctance, I will retire my Diva tiara, and accord the privilege of being a Diva to someone else.  I owe volumes of thanks to Tina Donahue, who patiently guided me through the mysteries of Blogger each time.  Apologies are due also, to those whose day/date I stepped on at various times. And thank you to those wonderful folks who read and commented. Your words and thoughts were -- and are -- much appreciated!  You're always welcome to visit the blog of my alter-ego:  http://bookmechanic.wordpress.com/

Happy Writing and Happy Reading to all of you!       Hetty St. James  aka  Kelly Ferjutz 

2 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Thanks for being a part of the group, Hetty - we're going to miss you. Much success with your future work. :)

jean hart stewart said...

So sorry to lose you....Come back to visit, please.