Home

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Real life interferes with my writing...again!

I can't remember the last time I sat down to write.  Must be at least a month ago.  The story arc is still in my head, and whenever I'm not doing any brain work, the characters keep talking loudly, to remind me that I need to finish their story.  Just getting into the shower starts them up.  They remind me of their hottest moments while I'm in there, covered with soapy water, and well...you know the rest, right?  Wink!

What has been keeping me so busy?  The high school has had me working every day of the week.  The only two days I took off were the ones I needed off for cataract surgery.  Yes, I now have 2 bionic, permanent contact lenses.  The distance lens is in my left eye, and the right eye has the reading lens, for books and computer screens. The second one was done this week, so I'm still reaching for glasses as I get out of bed, then I realize I can see everything clearly already.  I catch myself trying to push them up my nose all day.  Having worn glasses for most of the last 50 years, the habits of a lifetime will have to be unlearned.  The biggest surprise for me was that my color perception had been majorly degraded by the cataracts.  When I looked at the afghan that I was almost done crocheting on the night I got the first lens replaced, I was astounded at how bright the periwinkle blue was, and how the lime green almost hurt my eyes.  With my as-yet-undone other eye, the colors were still grey-blue and grey-green.  Now I have the full range of colors back!  What I need now is a pair of "cheap sunglasses", like in the ZZ Top song.  Then I'm set for the summer.

I've also been working my second job, tutoring younger kids after school and on Saturdays.  And I've been trying to find the time to work at a third job on-line, for a short-term project, but that's not been happening much.

The real-life events that have been keeping me preoccupied and busy are associated with my kids.  One son is getting married in September, so I decided to make myself something to wear.  But I'm not sure the pattern I bought will fit well, so I'm making the top into a dress with a summer-print of flamingos in the forest.  If I have to adjust the pattern, I'll do it with cheaper fabric, then the silky purple I bought for the wedding outfit will only get cut out when I know it will fit well.

Another son found out the professor he's working with, as he pursues his masters in Hydro-Geology, will be moving out of state.  So my son is in the process of transferring to that same school, to start in the fall.  We've been discussing how much help he'll need from us to get him established out there.

And our youngest, our baby girl, just graduated from college, so we were all camping in downstate Illinois, close to her college town, last weekend.  Yes, we got rained on, but nothing like the tornadoes and wild weather in much of the country.  We're returning down there with my truck to move her back up here this weekend. She'll student-teach in the fall.

So as you can see, I've been a bit busy. But I've got the rights back to 4 of my books that were with a publisher who was sold.  I've gotten contracts for all 4 of them from my current publisher.  They've added new editors, so I expect to hear from them soon.  And at least 2 of them need to be re-published before the book I'm currently working on can come out.  So I have time.  But I recently had another dream with most of a plot...this one involves a shifter, and I've never written a shifter romance.  So I can't wait to get started on that one.

School will be out soon, and I need to get back to an exercise program also.  Darn that pesky sleep thing!  I really need some extra hours to my days.

If you want to read about my books, check out my website: http://www.fionamcgier.com.
There are links to reviews, links to read first chapters, and excerpts galore, as well as a free short story.  And if you sign up for updates, I'll let you know when I'm running another contest, or I have a new book out.

Until next month, TTFN!

Quick note: the EPIC contest for excellence in eBooks opens in 2 weeks.  Start picking what you're going to enter, and get ready to wow the judges!  And if you want to read the best of the newest in eBooks, plan to sign up as a judge.
 https://www.epicorg.com/

5 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Wow, you've been busy, Fiona. Hope life slows down for you a bit so you can enjoy yourself more and write. :)

jean hart stewart said...

Wow, Fiona, take it easy. Gotta make room for your writing somehow!

Fiona McGier said...

Thanks, Tina and Jean. We just got home and I threw a load of laundry in, emptied the dishwasher, and now I have to grocery shop, since there's no food left. I'm working every day this week, 2 jobs on a few days. Ta Ta For Now...

Harlie Williams said...

I've been subbing a lot too. I can barely keep up with the blog and what I need to do there. School's out in 3 weeks and then its summer school. I'm also keeping a friend's child during the month of June.

Oh and its still baseball season.

I haven't written in such a long time that hopefully my muse doesn't hate me.

But hey, I complained early of not working. I actually LOVE working. Its still ingrained in me after 32 years of the daily grind.

I know, I'm weird.

Marika/Harlie

Fiona McGier said...

I don't love working. I love the kids I deal with, but that's different.

We need my money to handle the bills. That's why I work multiple jobs. When I started writing, husband thought I'd make big money and things would get easier. Now that he realizes it's not so, he's not as supportive. So I gotta keep working every day I get offered until the school year is done.

Like you said, 3 more weeks.