Home

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Writing A Book Series

N'awlins Exotica
Thanks to everyone for joining me. Today, I’m talking about book series and why they are a double edged sword. Why you say? Well, for the reader they’re great! You create a world with multiple characters, focusing on them, what they do, and in romance, how they interact with one another to fall in love. I’ve heard it all. Readers love series because they want to feel like the know the characters personally as well as their stories. And they have to be long! YES the longer the better. 200 pages plus, give me angst, drama, romance, and some hot sex to boot.
Yes, it’s great.                    
It’s awesome.
And then comes the hard part; WRITING IT.
Believe me, I’m a reader too, so I love a good book series. Sue Brown’s Morning Report, Mercy Celeste, Southern Scrimmage, Avril Ashton’s Sinners Series. Yes, I love all of these and that’s just m/m. 
The Wretched Series
And then I think of my own. My N’awlins Exotica and Paranormal, Under the Gun, The Wretched, and my co-Author series Wounded with Remmy Duchene, just to name a few. They’re wonderful. I’ve enjoyed writing them, but they are a serious pain in the ass.
Why you say? Well, as much as I love all my characters in my series, there’s a lot that goes into writing them. Remembering little details like their eye and hair color, how it was cut, was it long, short? The temperament of the characters, where they lived, what was the last thing they’d done, what do they like to eat? Are they vegetarian? I had this issue with Orrin when I finally wrote his book. Then I recalled he ate a ham sandwich in book one.
Scratch that! *laughs*
And then, making it more complicated when the characters crossover into other books, IE N’awlins Exotica where I bring Ryland there and take Kajika to Paranormal!
N'awlins Exotica Paranormal
UGH!
There is so much work that goes into these and then, when you make them related you have to remember the backstory. What happens in the last book? What did Eli do to his last victim? What did Corey do to piss Nicolai off? I need to re-read it to find out. Yeah, now you see why the book series is a pain? Don’t get me wrong, I love em but, as I stated to Remmy last night, I’m going to try making them standalones from now on!
What about you? If you’re a reader, tell me about some of your fave series! Doesn’t have to be mine and if you’re an author, you can do it too, but tell me how you keep everything straight in every book? Do you make note cards on each character Have you plotted all 100 books in the series from day one?

CONTEST

If you answer in the comments, I’ll award the full N’awlins Exotica Series in ebook to a lucky commenter! Good luck!

4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Wow - your covers are amazing. I really lot your plotlines too - very unique. :)

jean hart stewart said...

I write mostly in series, and have a devil of a time with continuity. I do keep a time chart and blood line chart as I go along, and some notes on physical traits. But it's never enough and I find myself going back and back to recheck...love my characters though .....

S.Lira said...

@Tina,

Thanks so much for the compliments!

S.Lira said...

@Jean

That's a good idea. I should do some kind of timeline in my next series!

Thanks for the comments as always Jean!