Home

Saturday, February 7, 2015

No news is good news...at least for me!


So if you follow me on Facebook, I announced that I had 3 job interviews on Tuesday.  One was for Lowe's, another was for the school district and the last one was for a non profit in town.  Of course, I don't get too buzzed up because I've been let down before but I feel good about these.

Lowe's would be part time in the lawn/garden section.  Yes, I love flowers and do rather well with them, so it would be a win/win for me.  Hubs isn't too excited because of the scheduling aspect but hey, a job is a job.  Background check is done and just waiting on the drug test now.

The school district job would be perfect for me.  Too bad that as I write this (Friday afternoon) I still haven't heard back from them and he was supposed to make a decision by today.  I'm still hopeful but I'm not counting on it.

Lastly, the non profit would be the coolest job.  Unfortunately, it gives me NO flexibility at all.  Its a traditional 8-5 job and I would have no benefits, vacation, etc. for a solid year.  Plus, we have to take into consideration after school care for Brian and then the summer.

So as I write this, I still don't have any word about the jobs at all.  I have another interview with the non profit on Wednesday (11th) but even if I get the job, the are very slow to process and interview.  At least we have our tax refund coming next week and hubs bonus check.  Of course that's not until Friday.

So I'll end with everyone cross everything and say a prayer, light a candle.

Here's my interview outfit.  My son has never seen me in a suit and he said I looked like a rich mom.  LOL!  Of course, hubs loved it.

I know, its black but its classic.

Until next month...




Just a friendly reminder that baseball (at least Spring Training) starts this month.  WOO HOO!




4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Wow, a whole YEAR without benefits, vacation, etc. That's positively medieval!

Looking good, Harlie - keeping my fingers crossed for you. :)

jean hart stewart said...

I'm surprised it's even legal to have a whole year without vacation, etc. I hope one of the other job offers comes first...

Fiona McGier said...

Jean, I'm not surprised. Every full-time job I've had made you wait a full year before you got a paid vacation. As opposed to Europe where everyone gets 4-6 weeks paid vacation, even in the first year of employment. And the computers that were supposed to make life easier, instead made it so we're accessible 24/7 to bosses who check up to be sure you're working at home. Some of husband's bosses have a mandatory meeting every night at a very inconvenient hour, because it's 2pm in China and convenient for THEM. Too bad for us. Sigh.

Harley, girl, you know I'm rooting for you! If the p/t floral dept job would make you happiest, I hope you get that one. The full-time non-profit one sounds too harsh. You do still want to go to your son's baseball games, and that would steal too much of your time away from him. I'd like you to have a chance at the school district one also, so you'd have academic-year hours and your summers off.

Toes and fingers crossed for you!

Harlie Williams said...

@Tina and @Jean

Unfortunately, its true. Nothing for a year. Of course, I can take time off but with NO pay. I don't health insurance since my husband has excellent coverage. But time away is important to me.

@fiona

Thank you lady! Lowe's would be the best choice for me mentally and the school district? Awesome because of the hours. ;)

Harlie