Home

Friday, January 9, 2015

Something New for 2015...

Happy New Year!

Okay, I realize New Year's Day was over a week ago, but this is my first post of 2015, so I'm saying it anyway.



I've made a lot of plans, decisions, and even resolutions for this year, many of them having to do with my writing career. I'm trying some new and different things, and the first of those is nearly ready to send to a publisher.

Most of my romances are contemporary erotic, with a few paranormals thrown in. I've never thought about writing romantic suspense, because that isn't where my head is usually at, and because I tend to be kind of harsh about my abilities to plot something like that.

But that's exactly what I'm writing now. A romantic suspense/mystery thing. Male/male, in which the two heroes find connections--and deaths--between their families going back well over a century. Connections that residents of the small town of Dayfield, Massachusetts, want to keep hidden at any cost.

I've been playing with this story for about a month now, and it's been an interesting journey. It all started because someone I'm close to enjoys genealogy, and talking to him led to a plot bunny involving someone trying to do a family history and falling for the librarian or archivist that was helping him.

And then my friend and I started brainstorming more. I created an entire small factory town set in the Pioneer Valley of Massachusetts. A town that's well past its better days, since the factory closed 30 years ago. A town where bitterness, grudges, and secrets prevail. And, as Weston, one of the heroes, puts it, "Small towns bury their secrets, but sometimes the secrets don't stay buried."

The first draft of the story is complete, and later this month I'll be revising and submitting it. And hopefully the publisher--and readers--will enjoy seeing something different from me.

4 comments:

Fiona McGier said...

Sometimes it feels good to branch out into genres you usually don't write. Good luck with the new book.

Tina Donahue said...

Good for you for trying something different, Karenna - hope your sales skyrocket. :)

jean hart stewart said...

Kudos for trying something new...I think it's a good feeling to climb a new mountain.

KarennaC said...

Thanks, ladies! I'm both excited and anxious about the idea.

My friend who helped me with some of the brainstorm and historical fact-checking has issued me a challenge: He's currently beta reading the book for me, and is creating a map of the town as he goes. He's challenged me to create my own map so we can compare them and see how close they are. If the novel is accepted for publication, I'll post both maps on my website for readers to see.