Home

Friday, January 2, 2015

New Year, New Goals, and What I Learned in 2014



So, here we are on the 2nd day of 2015. Have you recovered from your hangover and holiday blahs? I’m actually still recovering but so much happened for me since I last posted. New day job, new place to live, and writing wise, I got NoDenying Sin up for sale.

*pumps fists*

So now that brings me to this year, which I’m raring to go with new goals and a new perspective, but first let me finish out the post from last month. You recall I said that 2014 was a learning experience. I certainly hope that people didn’t take my post the wrong way because readership matters regardless of whether it comes from paid books or freebies! However, the time spent on them should be done in moderation. Not two years plus worth of stories, instead, ever so often so other things can get accomplished. That being said, here are my other observations and once again I want to stress, I am NO expert!

1.     Freebies done in moderation – Again, only so often or do like I did for my FFM. Finish it then post it part by part. I did this for a story I did over NaNoWriMo called Wanting. Read it here on my blog Triad Shorts

2.     Planning on what books to do might not work – Some authors have everything planned out from what books they will write and revise as well as the plots for every single story. This doesn’t work for me. There isn’t a right way or wrong way for this, every author is different. For me personally, I do better when I write it as it comes. I used to have an agenda for what stories I wanted to write and actually for most of the year I didn’t stick to that agenda. Instead, I wrote what the muses, the 3 of them the little buggers, wanted to do when they wanted to do it.

3.     Even though writing is a business, don’t lose sight of your joy – This is a big one for me because I felt this past year I lost sight of the biggest reason why I write: THE LOVE. Yes, I love writing. In truth, my royalties are enough to cover a couple of bills and maybe groceries. I haven’t made enough to quit my day job and that’s okay. Of course I want to be successful, but everyone’s idea of success is different. I might not be E.L. James or JK Rowling at any point in my career, but I still consider myself a huge success. I have muses that take me to different places, I enjoy my characters, and I love all my readers who’ve taken the time to read my work. Being happy with writing is what’s most important to me. Sure, all of us writers want to make more, but in my mind, even with all the promoting, the hard work, etc, it doesn’t guarantee that the book will be a best seller.

All right so, there we go. What I learned in 2014. I know there’s more but I won’t bore you. What about my goals for this year? Well, once again, I plan to write 300K. I did almost 330K in 2014 so I don’t think this will be a huge feat. Another is to get ten stories contracted this year. That’s a goal I had in mind for last year and now with my focus back on track, I hope I can so that. I’ve already subbed 2 stories so cross your fingers for me.

*winks*

And finally, release a book under my fourth penname. I know what you’re thinking, fourth? Yep, Veronica Bagby is itching to do a book. So, if I do at least one with her this year, I’ll be a happy camper.

To me those are some lofty goals. I have more but I’ll save those for my blogs and the muses. They all have personal goals they’d like to attain. Damn muses! They do indeed have a mind of their own.

To close, I’ll end this blog with a question; what things did you learn in 2014 and what goals have you set for the new year? You don’t have to be an author to answer! Thanks for listening!

* * * *


My latest is under BLMorticia. This muse is a terror. She's taken over Michael's series and made it her own in one fail swoop. 
*winks*

Blurb:

Living in the Big Easy is downright deadly especially if you’re a stripper. When another exotic dancer is found dead in her apartment, the heat mounts on Frankie and his fellow detectives to find the killer. Due to the magnitude of this unsolved mystery along with the LaBoy murders, tension runs high at Nineteen making it hard for all to breathe around the police station and sending everyone into a frenzy.

There’s no denying Frankie’s love for Kajika but in the back of his mind, hot thoughts of the mutual jerk off with Orrin Daugherty loom over his head. Though the feelings are mutual, Orrin wants nothing to do with this and pushes Frankie away. Add in to the mix his fascination with partner Vance Morain along with his severe case of blue balls and you got one hell of a predicament for these for complex and volatile men.

The men at Nineteen are burning with desire for one another and pleasure is beginning to be almost as important as business.

Will the sinful disruptions stop them from finding the killer roaming the streets of the Big Easy?

This is book 3 of N’awlins Exotica Series. Doesn’t necessarily need to be read in order.

WARNING: Lots of lewd dialogue and smoldering sex between males.

Amazon

ARE

Smashwords

Excerpt HOT

“Morning, Orrin. Join the party, will ya? Ah shit, I forgot something in my office. Just talk amongst yourselves, and I’ll be right back.” The Chief walked out of the pen.
No one answered, but they did as the Chief had said.
Vance eyed Orrin up and down from behind, enjoying the view from his direction. Just as he wondered whether to approach the man or not, Orrin seemed to make up Vance’s mind for him.
He turned around with a cup of coffee in hand. “Hey. Look, uh, Lane told me you stopped by. Was there something you wanted to tell me?”
Vance sighed inwardly, bristling at the sound of that man’s name. “Yeah, I wanted to remind you how much I cared about you.”
The pen got quieter when he finished his sentence.
Orrin stopped drinking, and his eyes bulged. “Vance…”
Vance put his hand up. “Naw man, I don’t wanna hear it, right? I care about you—I really do—and you had some lame ass dude named Lane coming to your door, saying he’s your boyfriend. Is that your way of making me back off, huh? You think that’s gonna make me forgot about how I feel?” He pushed off the desk and stepped closer to Orrin, only inches away from his face. If he didn’t care, he might’ve decked him because seeing Lane’s smug smile pissed him off. How dare he not get up and answer his own door.
Orrin shook his head. “Fuck this. Not here, okay? We can talk about this later.”
Vance took the coffee out of Orrin’s hand and placed it on the table behind them. He grabbed him by the collar and yanked him in. “Naw man, we’re gonna talk about it now before the Chief comes back in. You know how I feel, and you’re gonna tell me you don’t care about Lane.”
“Vance…I…”
Before Orrin could say anything more, Vance pulled him in, forcing his lips on top of Orrin’s. He wrapped his arm around the man’s waist and held him there, thrusting his tongue inside his mouth, sampling the taste of his mouthwash along with the hazelnut coffee he’d just started drinking.
From that moment on, adrenaline ran through all Vance’s veins, straight to his cock and his nipples. His breath hitched in his chest, and goose bumps formed on his arms and neck, leaving him tingling in everywhere.
The more the embrace deepened, the less control Vance had over his own body. He’d imagined Orrin to be a great kisser, but he didn’t know their first time would have this type of effect.
Orrin attempted to get away, but it was all for nothing. Seemingly after about a minute, he gave up and allowed himself to enjoy the extended embrace. Not to be outdone, he returned the kiss with more fervor, sucking Vance’s lips and toying with his tongue.
Vance accepted it, gripping Orrin’s jean clad thighs in both hands, not caring who watched them right now. Everything he wanted was right here in front of him, dressed in jeans with a black vest and white shirt. Nothing could make him stop doing what he’d desired to do for the last couple of weeks.
“Aw fuck, Vance. I told ya to slow down, my man… but hell…” Frankie’s quip broke the collective gasps and whispers in the room.
“I knew you were gay, cowboy. Thank goodness we didn’t fuck, ‘cause I woulda got some kinda cooties,” Kenina joked.
“Aw, cut it, gal,” David replied. “I’m not gay, but I gotta say…”
“Aw, not you too,” Kenina snarled at him.
“I’m saying, seeing two people kiss, who want one another that bad is pretty hot. You know you’re all wet seeing it, babe. Just admit it.”
“I know I am… damn…” Turley chimed in. “Whew.”
More whispers then the sound of the door shutting and heavy footsteps quieted everyone. “Aw hell now c’mon Morain and Daugherty. I can’t have another couple down here, okay? Turley and Wendell is enough!” Chief Quinn walked back in. “Get back to work everyone. This ain’t the damn Dating Game or Queer As Fucking Folk!”
“It is right now,” Frankie replied. “C’mon, Chief. Have a heart, all right? This has been going on between them for quite a while.
“And who says ya don’t need more than one couple?” David asked.
Orrin pushed Vance away and stared at him with a confused look on his face. He touched his lips, appearing to be in a trance. “Damn you, Morain.”
Vance gawked, huffing as if he’d been in a fight. And he had, trying to keep Orrin in place while he tried his best to wrestle himself away. Only the Chief’s terse voice stopped him from reeling him back in for a repeat. They’d most definitely be continuing this later on.
“No Orrin, damn you. If you think I’m gonna walk away even with Lane on your fucking heels, you got a surprise, babe. I ain’t backing down, right? And I don’t give a rat’s ass what you say about your personal life interfering with work!” 



6 comments:

Fiona McGier said...

I've had to lower my expectations so many times I feel like I'm lying on the floor. I started out wanting to be able to quit one of my jobs, by earning extra money from writing. The only novel that has readers in the thousands is the free one on Smashwords, which was supposed to encourage readers to want to buy the others in the series, but instead results in me getting emails from hopefuls asking me where they can "get a copy" of my other books in that series...not that they want to PAY for them, of course. Sigh.

I vacillate between thinking I have no talent, which is why I make no money...to enjoying rereading what I've written while I'm in edits. It boils down to, like you said, I LOVE to write. I write what I like to read, which unfortunately, is never the current "hot" gentre. Not for me are the billionaire brother shape-shifting doms who are wild about sharing a mousy low-income virgin.

My books, like me, are destined to labor in obscurity. I'm not being pessimistic...just realistic. Which at least allows me not to feel guilty when I "take time off" from my book "business/hobby", to spend time with my family--as I did over the holidays. Now I'm getting back into the "work" mentality, and gearing up for a productive new year.

Kudos to you for allowing yet another author personna to take charge of your fingers and type up a storm. Your much larger income from writing no doubt reflects your prolific production of great books. You go, girl!

jean hart stewart said...

Fiona's comments echo my feelings. I'm on my thirty-fourth book, have five scheduled to come out this year at MuseItUp but I don't make enough to do more than feel like an adequate author. Wouldn't give up my writing for anything, though....

Tina Donahue said...

Great advice. The most important thing is that you keep writing. Hope 2015 is simply awesome for you. :)

S.Lira said...

@Fiona,

Thanks so much hon. We won't labor in obscurity, hon. Keep the faith. Your comment really moved me because I've also often felt am I good enough to do this. And I know I am, and I'll continue writing, not to prove that I'm just as good, but because I love it. I'll let the readers be the judge!

:D

Thanks hun

S.Lira said...

@Jean,

34th? WOW!

I think I'd written about that many but a lot of them are back with me now to be redone.

I always appreciate your comments and please do keep writing!

S.Lira said...

@Tina,

Thanks much! I look up to you!