Home

Friday, December 5, 2014

What I Want for Christmas

‘Tis the season to make our Christmas wish lists, the things that drive the economy and thrust many people into debt. At this time of year, merchants go to sleep with visions of shoppers dancing in their heads to the accompaniment of cash register bells. I’m not a materialistic person but here is my wish list.

I wish retailers would have the courtesy to wait until we’re finished with one holiday before pushing the next one. Halloween was barely a memory when stores began stocking Christmas items. I would ask the same of radio stations that program holiday music non-stop. I didn’t mind it when they waited until the day after Thanksgiving, but one of our local stations began doing it in October. Seriously?

I wish CEO’s would get over the idea that most of us want to start our Christmas shopping on Thanksgiving Day. This is supposed to be a time for families to enjoy each other’s company and reflect on what they’re thankful for. Do you remember a time when it was nearly impossible to find a restaurant that was open on Thanksgiving, let alone a department store? Let’s put Norman Rockwell back into the equation.

I wish television networks would bring back the annual holiday specials. When I was growing up it was a tradition to watch Christmas-themed shows with Andy Williams, Perry Como, Bing Crosby and the like. This was something we looked forward to. In recent years Michael Buble has rebooted the idea and I’d like to see more entertainers follow suit.

I wish that non-profit organizations would not wait until December to remind us of people in need. I realize that this is a calculated plan because most people have a touch of Santa Claus and feel like giving. Don’t food banks and homeless shelters need help in July, too?

I wish people would just slow down and enjoy the season for what it is. Seeing an animated window display of Santa’s workshop while listening to a brass quintet playing Christmas carols is a lot more fun than getting elbowed by anxious shoppers at the mall. So is watching a classic holiday movie on TV in front of the fire with someone special.

What I really want for Christmas, though, is more tolerance and less mayhem in the world. I wish people could learn how to get along with one another without pulling a gun. I wish our elected officials would set a better example by doing what we hired them to do instead of sniping at each other. I wish people would follow the maxim “Live and let live” and keep the Christmas spirit alive year round.

Dear Santa – If you can’t give me the above, I’ll settle for another best seller and a lot of cash. A new Beemer would be nice, too.

Hey, I may not be materialistic but I’m still human!

* * * *

Tim Smith is an award-winning, bestselling author whose books range from romantic mystery/thrillers to contemporary erotic romance. His website is www.timsmithauthor.com.

3 comments:

jean hart stewart said...

How about a new Maseraati?

Tim Smith said...

Not a bad wish, Jean! Let's all sing one chorus of "Santa Baby" LOL.

Tim Smith

Fiona McGier said...

Here, here! I second your sentiments, Tim. I wish people would learn tolerance and practice it towards others who share this tiny mudball of a planet with us.