|Torn between the past and the future|
|Diana Gabaldon and Susana Ellis|
The STARZ television show has been equally fabulous. After being so often disappointed by movies adapted from books, I was almost afraid to hope that this one would be any different. After all, the books were larger than life. How could a television show measure up? And would the actors cast for the show conflict with my imaginary images?
|Claire and Jamie before the wedding|
Wow! From the first episode on, I’ve been bowled over by the magnificence of the television series. Sam Heughan is Jamie for me. Caitriona Balfe is Claire. And Tobias Menzies! OMG, what talent! I never fully appreciated Frank so much before Tobias became him for me, and the dilemma Claire faces at loving two such different men has become much more real since Ron Moore chose to perform his magic on Gabaldon’s remarkable novels.
|Mr. and Mrs. Frank Randall|
|Black Jack Randall flogging Jamie|
Tobias’ portrayals of both Frank Randall and Black Jack Randall have been particularly noteworthy. That man is an amazing actor! The fact that he can play two such very different characters so convincingly shows his unique talent among a cast of extraordinarily wonderful actors.
|Lovable, comical trio|
|Claire and Dougal|
And then there’s Dougal. I never thought of him as particularly sexy until Graham McTavish played him. Rupert and Murtaugh and Angus add an inflection of comedy to the cast. Mrs. Fitz. Laoghaire (“Leery”)…the character we all love to hate. Geillis Duncan, whose role becomes more prominent in future episodes. The music. The Skye Boat Song has never been so haunting and meaningful as it is when Bear McCreary sings it in the opening of the show.
STARZ’s Outlander actually enhances the wildly popular saga Gabaldon created nearly twenty-five years ago. Run, don’t walk, to subscribe to STARZ. You won’t regret it!
DroughtlanderUnfortunately, the second half of the first season doesn’t begin until April, so we must find other ways to keep our Outlander obsession going strong.
- Travel to Scotland. A trip you will never forget!
- Shop Outlander for Christmas! Search "Outlander" on Etsy. Zazzle has some lovely mugs, tee shirts, etc. Any Outlander fan would appreciate a Sassenach tee shirt!
- Vote for Outlander for the People’s Choice Award for Favorite Cable Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Show. As many times as you can.
- Vote for Sam Heughan—Jamie—for Anglo Fan Favorites Man of 2014. Again—as many times as you can. He’s currently in the semi-finals, but it looks like he will be in the finals against Richard Armitage after this week. Vote!
- Vote for Caitriona Balfe—Claire—for Anglo Fan Favorites Woman of 2014. The women should be up soon. Vote!
- Vote for Jamie and Claire for Best Sexual Tension of 2014.
- Follow these Facebook fan pages: Caitrionations, Heughan’s Heughligans, Outlander Series, Outlander, Outlander Fans and Diana Gabaldon.
- Follow Sam Heughan at @SamHeughan
- Follow Caitriona Balfe at @caitrionambalfe
- Read and reread the books and imagine how great the last half of the season is going to be, with so many dramatic scenes left to see!
How has the television series altered your perception of one of the major characters: Claire, Frank, Jamie, Black Jack Randall, Dougal.
*The brooch will be mailed as soon as the winner's mailing address has been received and the brooch has arrived (it is currently on order). A winner located outside the US and Canada will be offered a gift card comparable in value.
|Claire and Frank at Craigh na Dun watching the dancers at dawn|
|Claire sets Jamie's dislocated shoulder. [Drool]|
|Wedding day splendor: but is she committing bigamy or not?|
|More wedding day|
|Gotta love the wedding day!|
|And don't forget the wedding night! [Gulp!]|
A former teacher, Susana Ellis is finally living her dream of being a full-time writer. She loves all genres of romance, but historical—Regency in particular—is her favorite. There’s just something about dashing heroes and spunky heroines waltzing in ballrooms and driving through Hyde Park that appeals to her imagination.
In real life, Susana is a lifelong resident of northwest Ohio, although she has lived in Ecuador and studied in Spain, France, and Mexico. More recently, she was able to travel around England and visit many of the places she’s read about for years. . . and it was awesome! She is a member of the Central Florida Romance Writers and Beau Monde chapters of Romance Writers of America.
A Twelfth Night Tale
A wounded soldier and the girl next door find peace and love amidst a backdrop of rural Christmas traditions.
She’s a country lady. He’s a London swell. They have nothing in common. Or have they?