Home

Monday, November 24, 2014

Orange Candy Cake - Recipe by Kayelle Allen #HolidayRomance #RecipeIdeas

A Romance for Christmas by Kayelle Allen
A Romance for Christmas
by Kayelle Allen 
At this time of year, I usually get all homebodyish and start baking. Not this year. Instead, I'm going out to eat for Thanksgiving. My kids are all elsewhere this year with other obligations, so hubby and I are fleeing the coop and will go out to eat, see a movie, and then come home and veg. The one thing I am planning to make for the holiday, however, is Orange Candy Cake. This is my recipe. I first tasted it years ago at a friend's house, and I've loved it ever since. It's made with those yummy orange candy slices. Unforgettable dessert! (click the link at the end to download as a printable pdf recipe)

Orange Candy Cake

1 lb orange candy slices, chopped
1 lb pitted dates, chopped
3 1/2 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 c pecans, chopped
1 c flaked coconut
1 c butter
2 c sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 c milk

Orange Glaze Frosting

2 c powdered sugar
1 c orange juice
Stir together to make a creamy sauce-like frosting. It should be thin enough to pour, but thick enough to stick to the cake.

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine flour, soda, and salt.
In a large bowl, stir together the candy slices, dates, pecans, and coconut. Sprinkle with 1/2 c of the flour mixture and stir to coat. (hint: a large wooden spoon helps)
In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
Fold butter/sugar/egg mixture into the candy mixture. Drizzle with the milk, alternating portions of flour mixture, until all is combined. Mixture will be chunky and thick.
Grease a bundt or tube pan well. Spoon cake into pan, and place in center of oven.
Bake 90 minutes. Test with a toothpick. Pick should come out clean.

Pour the glaze over the cake while the cake is still hot. Allow to cool. To serve, turn onto a cake plate. May be topped with whipped cream and candied fruit.

---
See why I love this cake? It's really good. Once you've had it, you'll want it again and again.
Click here to download this post as a pdf recipe you can print. ORANGE CANDY CAKE
---
Recipe by Kayelle Allen, author of A Romance for Christmas
A cop at the door on Christmas Eve brings an unexpected gift.
A sweet holiday romance showcasing love, loss, and the spirit of giving.
It's Christmas Eve, and the end of a year in which everything Dara loves has been lost. Everything but her little girl and a fierce determination to survive. When a cop brings Christmas to her door, he brings another gift she never expected to get.
Peek inside the book: http://is.gd/rom4cmaspeek
Find Your Copy:

4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Wow - now I'm hungry - thanks, Kayelle! :)

Kayelle Allen said...

You're welcome! ^_^ I buy pies, rather than make them, because I always seem to burn the crust. But this cake isn't available anywhere. It's so far beyond the usual fruitcake!

Fiona McGier said...

I bake the pies for every get-together. That's why I have a Pies page on my website. The heroine of For The Love Of His Life bakes pies all through the book, and I wanted readers to be able to recreate her pies...not that you'll get a sexy man like Raul with your baking, but you never know!

I also have the Never-fail Pie crust recipe there. Try it! Even young kids have had success with my recipe.

Kayelle Allen said...

oh definitely will do that Fiona. I love pie. I have trouble with the crust so will take a look. I sometimes break down and buy one ready made. I have a favorite recipe for hamburger pie that has layers of meat, onions, spinach, and a creamy sauce made with yogurt and sour cream. My husband asked for this the other day. Maybe I can use your recipe for it.