Home

Saturday, November 8, 2014

I Have A Newspaper Muse

With all the paper media closing down, there must be a lot of muses from the newspapers and magazines out there looking for work, and I think one of them found me.

You might wonder why I think this. I’ve talked many times about my love of submission calls. Each one is like a bright exciting new world. I never know where my mind is going to travel with one of those calls. But I don’t think it’s only the request that gets my creative juices flowing, or the direction the call gives me. I think it’s also the deadline.

I have a crazy uncanny ability to come up with a fantastic idea for a submission call about a month before it’s due. Which means I’m racing towards the finish, sending my baby into an editor on the last day its due, bleary eyed from lack of sleep because I wanted to read it through one more time.
The first couple of times this happened, I thought it was just coincidence. Just coincidence that I came up with the perfect idea only a month before the due date. Just happenstance that I didn’t think of this idea three months before when I first read the submission call and had more than enough time to write this story and sleep. But after the tenth or so time it’s happen, I’m thinking it’s not just coincidence. It’s because I have a newspaper muse. Used to working under a tight deadline, being directed on what story to take, my muse seems to love the pressure and stress of having not enough time to write a story. And if the last few years are any indication, she’s going to do what she wants, regardless of what I have to say about.

But I can’t be too mad at her. At least she’s bringing me ideas. I’d rather be crazy rushed to get something out, then not have any ideas at all.

My newest release was the same way. Inspired by a submission call back in April it was a mad dash to the finish this story on schedule to make sure it was published in time for the holidays (remember a few months ago when I mentioned I might be stepping back into the Christmas arena, this is the story I was thinking about). Owned for Christmas tells the tale of Kate Baker and her desire for two men. Brothers, as different as night and day, regardless of how much they look alike. Grant is a hard Dom, that’s willing to fulfil her every erotic dream. Daniel is kind and sensitive, he wants to marry her and settle down. How can Kate choose between these two men? Or does she have to? Can she be owned by both of them this Christmas?


Owned for Christmas goes on presale next Friday, November 14th, and will be available for early download at Totallybound.com on Friday, November 28th.  I hope you’ll check it out.

2 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

I started out at a newspaper, Willa. :) Glad your muse is in full gear. Owned for Christmas sounds delightful. May you burn up the net with your sales. :)

jean hart stewart said...

Those brothers sound enticing. Even one of them would be a great Xmas gift...