Home

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Thank You Dodi Miller!

Dodi Miller
It is truly my pleasure to write this blog today. Authors often receive nice comments at book signings and presentations, but how often do authors get to put the spotlight on one of their readers just to say thanks? I got to do exactly that yesterday. About two years ago, I met a faithful Miss Havana fan at a book signing for The Substitute and Oh, Heavens, Miss Havana! Her name is Dodi Miller. She and I have messaged a few times on Facebook since our initial meeting, and she has purchased the other two Miss Havana books (The Training Bra and The Trophy Wife). My wife and I invited Dodi for lunch just to let he know how much I appreciate her support, there being no greater compliment for an author than to buy his or her books. We had a great time talking and eating, and I got to ask her a few questions at the end of our meal. I hope you enjoy her answers as much as I did.

1. What was your favorite book of the Miss Havana series? ANS: The Substitute

2. Why? ANS: I thought it was the funniest. The Devil was a typical man, but Miss Havana was far cleverer.

3. Do you prefer Miss Havana as an evil woman, as in The Substitute, or as a relatively nice woman, as in The Trophy Wife? ANS: I like her evilness. She uses her beauty and brains to her advantage. I root for Miss Havana all the time and I’ve never felt sorry for the Devil. She gives new meaning to "the Devil gets his due."

4. What do you consider Miss Havana’s best feature? ANS: Her brains and her conniving nature.

5. What do you consider Miss Havana’s worst feature? ANS: Her blonde hair and great body, although she uses those things as a disguise, like a spider dressed up as a fly.

6. How would you describe your experience reading the Miss Havana books? ANS: Fun. I laugh a lot, but I did shed a tear when Angel died. Mostly it’s the laughter that makes me feel good.

7. Would you like to see Miss Havana in a movie? ANS: Yes!

8. Who would you like to see play the part of Miss Havana if a movie was made? ANS: Meryl Streep.

9. Why? ANS: She did a great job in The Devil Wears Prada. I think she could turn that evil loose on the Devil himself.

10. Did the plots of the books keep your attention? ANS: Yes, they are all hard to put down.

11. What did you like most about the books? ANS: The Miss Havana character, but the Lilith character is a close second.

12. Is there anything you’d like to see more of in future Miss Havana books? ANS: As the series progresses, Miss Havana gets nicer. I like her evil. I’d like to see more of that.

13. Were the books too violent? ANS: I didn’t think so. I thought the bloodshed seemed about right, at least it made sense. Miss Havana and the Devil always have a reason for the killing they do, even if their point of view is a little warped.

14. Were there too many sensual scenes in the books? ANS: No. Romance novels go much further. Like the killing, there’s always a reason for it.

15. Have you shared the Miss Havana books with anyone? ANS: Yes, my thirteen year old daughter. The books are comedy. She loved them.

16. Would you recommend the Miss Havana books to your friends? ANS: Yes, I do.

17. Is there any particular scene from the books that was your favorite? ANS: I liked the scene in The Substitute when the Devil returned to hell…and discovered he wasn’t in charge any more. When he realized Miss Havana had deceived him, he growled, “That Bitch.” I laughed, but I didn’t feel sorry for him, frozen in that block of ice like he was.
 
18. Do you know other books that compare to the Miss Havana series? ANS: Not really. Sandman Slim has some similarities, but he never does anything good. He’s not like Miss Havana, who can be both good and bad at the same time.

Thank you Dodi Miller! It's readers like you that make writing worth while. And to all readers of the Miss Havana comedies, I thank you and appreciate you from the bottom of my heart.

Sincerely,

James L. Hatch

http://www.amazon.com/James-L.-Hatch/e/B005CQB6E6




2 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Dodi has good taste - your writing rocks, James. :)

James L. Hatch said...

You are so sweet, Tina. Thank you. We had a good time visiting with Dodi. She's a cool lady.