Home

Thursday, October 9, 2014

New Year, New Path

Okay, I know it isn't really THE new year yet. But I'm *personally* starting a new year.

I'm calling it 2014 3/4.

Calendar Series 4

As I posted last month, I've gotten rights back on a few books that were published, and a couple that were contracted but had been in limbo for months. One of the latter books was accepted by Loose Id at the end of August and will be released on November 18, and I'll share more about that next month.

Over the past few weeks, with help and guidance from a couple of awesome people I know, I've changed course in my career and made goals and plans to become a more effective author, both in terms of what I write--more heart! less have-to!--and in terms of the reward for writing, i.e. payment.

The goals take me from October 1 of this year to December 31, 2015. They include projects for a couple of publishers I would like to be published by but am not yet, as well as for the publishers I've chosen to continue working with. They also include self-publishing some of the books I've gotten my rights back on, some freebie short stories, and, under a top-secret completely unconnected name, some erotica shorts.

I have a lot of support for my new path. My husband and another important person in my life are fully behind me, to the point of encouraging me to set weekly goals and offering "payment" if I meet them. (Things like a backrub, or a dinner out, or a drive to a nearby destination that I haven't been to before.) Some of the authors I know are right behind me cheering me on. And even my kids tell me they're proud of me and can't wait to see where I end up next.

I can't wait either. It's going to be a fun journey from here to the end of 2015.

4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Good for you, Karenna! Sounds like you have your career well in hand. May you soar this year and next and burn up the net with your sales. :)

Fiona McGier said...

Congrats on all of the exciting new opportunities! Don't you just hate when your books are "in limbo" and you have no idea what will happen to "your baby"?

And how wonderful for you to have all of that support at home. So Happy New Year to you, and hope you have a great time in the coming year.

jean hart stewart said...

Good for you,and all the luck in the world.

KarennaC said...

Thanks, everyone!

Fiona, I'm the kind of person who needs to know EVERYTHING, so having books in limbo makes me nuts! That's one of the reasons I'm taking more control over the coming 15 months or so. And I know how fortunate I am to have support from those who care about me, when too many authors have to fight opposition from their families.