Home

Friday, August 22, 2014

BE CAREFUL WHO YOU CALL INSPIRATION

Copyright infringement has become pervasive on the Internet, particularly with the misuse of photographs. It’s a violation of copyright law to copy and paste pictures from blog to blog or other social media sites without permission from the photographer. More than one author has been taken to task for this practice.

A famous singer was sued recently for a percentage of royalties on a successful album by the man she publicly called her “inspiration” or “muse” for the music she wrote. The takeaway for me from this suit was that romance authors should avoid posting pictures of hot guys on social media and calling the models the “inspiration” for their story heroes. An attorney who visited my local writers group to discuss copyright law confirmed this when she advised against ever calling anyone the “inspiration” for your work, and to never post photographs for that purpose. I decided to listen to her advice.

The outcome has led to my experimentation with photography. I haven’t taken original photographs of hot models yet, but that’s definitely on my bucket list. For now, I’m snapping pictures to promote my books and having tons of fun. I’m no expert, but at least I own the rights to all the photos, can use them as I please, and am enjoying the learning experience. I highly recommend giving photography a try. All you need is a digital camera or a smartphone to get started.

Here are some examples of my original promotional photographs. 









KISSING HER COWBOY is a new release from Adele Downs and an Amazon Top 100 Best-Seller in three categories! A Lunchbox Romance .99 short novella from Boroughs Publishing Group.




 Visit Adele Downs at http://adeledowns.wordpress.com


Like Adele Downs on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/authoradeledowns

Follow Adele Downs on Twitter! @Adele_Downs

4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Thanks for the heads up, Adele. Definitely something to worry about.

Adele Downs said...

Hi Tina, I used to post pics of hot guys all the time on my old blog. I'm sure you remember. ") I don't do that anymore unless I have the photographer's permission.

Best--Adele

Tina Donahue said...

I never did on my blog - I always had cover art or other stuff to use.

I've noticed at FB parties that a lot of hot guy pics are flying around. It's like on the FB wall (Timeline), there are always hot guy pics there.

jean hart stewart said...

Geez, just another thing to worry about. I love to look at the hot guys, I hope they don't' get around to outlawing that!