Home

Monday, July 14, 2014

The World of Tipping by Rita Hestand

I've recently been seeing a lot of articles about tipping and what so and so wrote on the tab. But I was brought up to believe that a tip was what you felt was right to give for the service you received. I still think that way.

You can annoy anyone these days. You can insult anyone these days.

I've been a waitress before and I feel like this:

If you give good service, and bend over backwards to please your customers, you will usually get a good tip. However, if you are mouthy and the customer doesn't appreciate it, you might not get one at all.

I think the problem these days is that it is a way to get noticed, on several of the sites, one way or another.
It shouldn't be.

Some restaurants ask for a certain percentage for a tip.  I feel they have no right to do so, mainly because if you don't get good service, then you don't deserve a good tip, or a tip at all.  If you don't get the order right, if you don't try to take care of your customer, then the customer has the right to refuse. Or should have.
Now days I tip a whole lot more than I used to.  But I never got the kind of tips people give out now, (course that was way when in the 60's) and what is worse, some are not deserved.

If a waiter or waitress really makes an effort to be charming, and serve me well, I certainly don't mind leaving a handsome tip. But if they are snarky and butting into my conversation and not bringing the right food, then sorry, they didn't do their job correctly.

Now days, famous people can get into trouble because they don't tip.

It is no one else's business really.  Unless maybe you are the manager of the store itself. Even then I would take exception and probably not come back if I decided the waiter or waitress hadn't done a good job.

What I'm saying is, at one time, a tip was earned. Today it is given, expected even. I know how hard the work is. I know when someone puts forth great effort, they should be rewarded no matter what you are tipping for. 

Example: In a hotel, if a bellhop carries five huge pieces of luggage up the stairs for you without grunting, he deserves a reward. If a waitress refills your free water glass several times, that means she cares no matter what the meal costs you to serve you right, and she deserves the tip.

Another example is when customers choose to be ugly and write bad things on tabs, and then one of the sites online gets wind of it, it blows way out of proportion. 

Heck, I think what it all boils down to is good manners, on both sides.

What do you think?







3 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Great post, Rita.

My two cents: Employers should pay wait staff a living wage so they don't have to depend on tips. That may add 15-20% to the cost of the food, but aren't we paying that anyway when we give a tip?

jean hart stewart said...

I agree with Tina. I always try to tip on the high side, unless the service has been just lousy. Waitresses have a pretty touch lot.

Fiona McGier said...

I'm truly shocked that waitresses and others who depend on tips don't even make minimum wage. AND they have have to pay taxes on what it's assumed they made as tips, even though they might not make that much!

In come disparity is increasingly a huge problem for all of us...well, except those who don't work at all and live in the lap of luxury based on which family they lucked into.

I think someday soon we're going to have to have a serious conversation about how much is "enough". To the rich, no matter how wealthy they are, no amount is "enough", and they're willing to bankrupt the country to get more. They're like the ultimate poster children for the psychological syndrome known as "anal retentive".

The rest of us know you make do with what you have, because you have no choice. But when folks are working multiple jobs and still have to have government assistance for food and medical care, then the politicians dance to the tune of their wealthy "owners" and try to cut off those government safety nets, we've got some serious crises building.

And yes, having been a waitress, I tip 20% usually.