Home

Saturday, June 7, 2014

What happened the last 8 years?


I actually cried in the carpool line on Wednesday afternoon.  If you know me at all, the carpool line is the bane of my existence.  OMG...I live in a small town in East Texas and the carpool line is like jockeying for position at a NASCAR race.  Jeez...sometimes I feel like I need to figure out who I need to draft behind just so I can get a good spot.

I'm one of those mom's that just don't care what position that I'm in when I pick up my son.  I'm a stay at home mom and after I pick up our son, we go home.  Do homework and whatever we need to do.  I'm in no hurry.  Seriously?  Where am I going to go?  I've already done all of my errands, shopping or whatever I needed to do before I picked up our son from school.  And the women that I deal with are stay at home moms.

The reason why I cried is because our school is now a 4th grader.  He will go to another school in August.  Middle school.  Yes, middle school; which in our town is 4th-6th grade.  Where did the last 8 years of our son's life go?  He will turn 9 on June 22nd and our little man is growing up.  As I type this we are in Port Arthur, Texas for our niece's high school graduation.  I got misty eyed there, too.

As you can tell, the carpool line is no big deal for me and I've already been told that at the middle school its worse.  In fact, a teacher there has told me what time to come pick up our school.  She told me that my stress will be less if I do what she says.  :)  Trust me, I will remember the tips and tricks that she has already shared.

So Lindale moms, you will not be able to draft behind me, nor will I care what position that I am in at the middle school.  You can be stressed out and waiting in traffic to try to get home.  I'll still be at home chilling and trying to figure out what I'm cooking for dinner.  Or better yet...WRITING!!!!


4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Nice post, Harlie. They grow up so fast.

jean hart stewart said...

A refreshing post. Takes me back quite a few years...

Fiona McGier said...

My BABY of 4 kids turns 21 in August! When she started kindergarten other moms asked if I was gonna cry...hell no! I danced all the way back home! I had the house to myself...finally! I love my kids, but I love seeing each new phase they grew into...the joy of parenthood was watching as they develop into your best friends.

Be strong, Mom! And get some writing done! It'll do wonders for your self-esteem, then you'll be that much happier to hear his chatter about his day when he gets home, knowing that you had a productive day too.

Harlie Williams said...

Thanks everyone. Its the first time I've cried since he started school.

Harlie