Home

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Willa on Vacation


I’m on vacation this week. Even now I might have my toes pushed into a nice white sandy beach, or I might be drinking from a cool glass with an umbrella in it. If I’m really lucky, I’m doing both at the same time. So in honor of my vacation I thought I’d talk about some of the benefits of taking vacations for your writing.

I’m not a big vacationer. I have never been good at completely relaxing and doing nothing. Hence one of the reasons I’m a writer (one of hundreds :D). Authors are always working. I was born with a strong Irish Protestant work ethic, and I’ve never been good at walking away from work, even for a few days. But over the last few years I’ve been getting better at relaxing, and I’m starting to see some of the benefits of vacationing. The relaxing and making progress on your writing are not mutually exclusive, but they can help each other out in several ways, included but not limited to this list.

-Vacationing gives your mind time to reboot, and can help you come up with a new perspective on an old story. Sometimes giving your mind time to reprocess and rethink helps you find the right motivation for a character or the right plot twist you need to bring your hero and heroine to their final conclusion.

-Going to new places and viewing new things can bring about new stories. Whether it’s seeing swashbuckling pirates or loveable furry critters, a new place and a new prospective can add to your depth of idea, setting and character. You never know, that new brilliant idea could be just around the corner.

-Relaxing allows you to recovering your motivation and energy. A little relaxing always causes me to come back to my current life refreshed and ready to conquer the world, not just at home or at work, but also in my writing. Sometimes a little downtime is exactly what you need to get back the energy you once had towards your writing, and to help you get over that hump to create even more words.

-Vacations allow you to take the time to give back and spend time with our families. Since we authors tend to work hard, splitting our time between work, family, writing, and the million other little things that make up everyday life, our families can sometimes get less of our time then the deserve. During a vacation is a great time to give our families our full and undivided attention, as they truly deserve for dealing with all our craziness all year round.

-And more than anything else, it’s just fun.

So while I’m lying on the beach, dancing through those warm tides and collecting seashells, I hope you’ll take a moment to bring just a little bit of my vacation into your day. Wish you were here!

4 comments:

Kayelle Allen said...

come back ready to rock again! We miss you...

Tina Donahue said...

Hope you have an awesome vacation, Willa - ditto on what Kayelle said - we miss you!

Like you, I find it hard to relax and do nothing. Mind's always working on a new story. :)

Fiona McGier said...

Taking a break is why my family only lets me bring my laptop with me camping when we're going for a week or more. When we go on just weekends I have to leave it at home. When we go for a longer trip there will be time when the husband and kids are fishing, which I don't do. So I'll stay at the campsite and write. I won't be able to go on-line usually because we prefer places so remote there's no cell phone signal, let alone wi-fi! When we head into town for food, sometimes I can jump on-line briefly while I sit in the laundromat. Otherwise, it's a total withdrawal from the 21st century. And we like it that way.

Have fun relaxing! Drink one for me, and see you when you get back!

jean hart stewart said...

Vacations are a completely necessary thing...come back all recharged!!!