Home

Monday, April 7, 2014

Blogger Bullying by Harlie



I'm hear today to talk about blogger bad behavior.  I just found out that an author is not writing anymore because of blogger bullying.  Yes, she is taking her books down, your website will go dark and she is not going to write anymore.  I read this NA author and loved her voice.  I feel like another great voice has gone silent due to some *s*h*l* blogger thinking that they are GOD and can make our break an author's career.

Good job blogger.  Not only have you crushed a writer's dreams, source of income and her self worth, you have managed to make this blogger very, very pissed off.  Once I found out who you are, I will expose you for who and what you are.  I've never understood why bloggers do this to authors.  I stay off Goodreads because of the bad behavior that so-called "reviewers" have done to authors and I feel that I will have to continue to un-follow bloggers because of this issue.  And to answer the question...I have un-followed some popular bloggers and their review sites because they have bullied authors in the past.  I just don't understand why someone would do that to another human being.

We have all heard about author bad behavior but blogger bad behavior is on the rise.  The affects of blogger bad behavior is worse.  Sure, I've had authors on my blog that had bad behavior and they haven't been on since.  When contacted, I just politely tell them/assistant/publicist that my calendar books well in advance (at two months) and that I can't fit them in.  Professionally said and there are no hard feelings.  Do I talk about these particular authors?  Get on Twitter/Facebook and bad mouth them?  No, I don't.  I'm a professional and I'd like my name to mean something.  Sure, most people think that I'm a joke and don't take me seriously but I do and that's what matters.  I'm not in blogging to make money (wish I did, though  *wink*) or to be the next Sara from SBTB.  I'm in it for my love of books and to help authors promote their books.
Isn't that what a blogger should be doing?  Not tearing them down because you didn't like that particular book.  

I have an author that once told me that based on my review her sales jumped for that one book.  I was thrilled for her but its not me that caused the sales jump.  It was her.  I was only the messenger.   Her writing is what sold the books, not me.  :)

I know that writers are trying just about anything to get there name/books out there to the masses.  I do, however, caution to really research bloggers and their sites.  Look them up on Twitter and Facebook.  Seriously, I mean this.  Authors research publishers, agents and should I self publish.  Why not bloggers/reviewers?  Just food for thought...

BTW, I have succumbed to reader pressure, so I now have a new feature for the weekends only...EROTIC WEEKENDS.  This is reserved for erotic genre only.  Kink, fetish, menage, same sex, etc. will be featured.  There will be reviews and the usual stuff.  I'm booked until May for now but I'm open after that.  

So have you bullied by a blogger and if so, how did you handle it?  Let me know in the comments.






17 comments:

Nikki said...

I hate this bullying going on. Bloggers, reviewers, and even at times, other authors. This should be a community of support, not bashing and trashing. I agree, bloggers should be well researched. With bullying and even ARC pirating, who can you trust? As a blogger, this angers me. I'm in it for the love of books and my passion for spreading the word. As an author, this scares me. I've been the victim of bullying in real life and I don't want this in the writing community. I want to help build up authors, share my love for them, not tear them down and I just don't get the need for this BS, at all.

Harlie Williams said...

Agreed. *shakes head*

Harlie

Fiona McGier said...

I sure hope that author takes some time off with some deep breathing and other calming activities. And when she's ready, she begins to let the stories flow again. She can use a different pen name. Hell, I'd advise everyone to use another name to avoid the "trolls" that lurk in the sub-world beneath the "free for everyone" internet. You know the ones who still live in their mother's basement, have a sickly pallor because they never leave the house, and spend their time typing with one hand and making themselves feel important with the other.

Sounds like a case of jealousy if that blogger was so mean. You're right about it being like middle-school cliques. I read about other authors having "street gangs", and that seems too much like "queen bees and wanna-bees".

Yes it's hard to get your name noticed, but the last thing you need is a pissing contest with someone determined to win. Why can't all bloggers be like you? You support your favorite authors, and we love you right back! And encourage you to follow your own dreams...have you been writing lately, missy? (grin)

Tina Donahue said...

Sad world we live in. The best revenge is success. Never give in. Never give up.

Harlie Williams said...

Fiona, I'm trying to write a 5k bad boy story for an anthology. Its slow but I'm getting there. I've changed his job twice.

I just wish that everyone would get along. There is too much other bull**** in the world to have the "Mean Girls" stirring up crap.

Harlie

Harlie Williams said...

Oh Tina...this writer is so good and I feel so bad for her. I've had her own the blog, read her books and can not sing her praises loud enough.

Harlie

Cate Masters said...

So discouraging to hear this. I'm so sad for that author, and hope she takes some time off to gather herself and come back strong. Thanks for posting this, Harlie. It's too important to remain silent.

T. BookChick said...

Well said. Very well said.

Molly Daniels said...

Well said:) I left a supportive comment on this particular author's final post, encouraging her not ti give up, and told her I would pray for her. I hope more authors did likewise.

Authors need to realize we're not in competition with each other; we need to support one another in order to be successful. If I like a certain author's work, I'll shout it to the world via my blog, social media, and when a reader is looking for something new. If I don't care for your book, I keep my mouth shut (with the exception of That Trilogy Which Shall Not Be Named).

Jealousy and petty differences have no place in social medial. It creates a toxic environment instead of the enjoyable connection with others.

Just my two cents!

Fedora said...

I've heard a little about this and it sickens me that supposed adults are choosing to embrace such asinine and cruel behavior. It's fine to acknowledge that something isn't to your taste--we are all so different that it's impossible to cater to everyone--but it's another to state that whatever/whoever isn't to your taste is then worthy of your contempt. I pray that these bullies will someday recognize the damage they've done and feel remorse, but I won't hold my breath. And I do fervently hope that this author and others like her will find comfort and support and peace in whatever path they choose to follow.

Tina Donahue said...

Who is the author in question? You can contact me at tina@tinadonahue.com - I have a feeling I already know, but want to make certain before contacting her for a hug.

Nicole Morgan said...

To put it simply, people can be ginormous butt munches!!!

But good on you for not stooping to their level. NO one ever should. Those bullies are just sad and pathetic excuses for book lovers. A true lover of the written word would relish in the joy of books, good or bad. They wouldn't spend their energy trying to tear so many down.

Jealousy is a vicious thing.

Maria D. said...

I don't believe in bullying anyone into anything - much less forcing someone to let go of their dreams by being mean...the old saying about if you have nothing nice to say ....say nothing is still the best advice! I hope that someday we can all act like grownups and that people will learn to encourage each other rather than tearing each other down!

jean hart stewart said...

Hate, hate, hate, bullying in any form. Can't imagine why anybody gets their kicks out of making someone feel badly

jean hart stewart said...

Hate, hate, hate, bullying in any form. Can't imagine why anybody gets their kicks out of making someone feel badly

Harlie Williams said...

I want to thank everyone that has come by. Its a very touchy subject with me. I carry myself in a very professional manner when it comes to reviewing and I don't understand why so many bloggers do this to other people.

Why don't they try to write a book and see how it feels to be put down or disliked.

I have written a book and I'm very proud of it. Too bad not too many people read it but that's okay. I can say that I'm a published author and they can't. Until they write that book, pour your heart and soul into...BACK OFF!!!

Harlie

Harlie Williams said...

I want to thank everyone that has come by. Its a very touchy subject with me. I carry myself in a very professional manner when it comes to reviewing and I don't understand why so many bloggers do this to other people.

Why don't they try to write a book and see how it feels to be put down or disliked.

I have written a book and I'm very proud of it. Too bad not too many people read it but that's okay. I can say that I'm a published author and they can't. Until they write that book, pour your heart and soul into...BACK OFF!!!

Harlie