Home

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Ask the Author: Publishing Timeline in 13 Steps @kayelleallen #author

The Last Vhalgenn 
People are often curious how long it takes a book to be published. I decided to jot down a few things that come into play during that time. I purposely left out time it takes to print, send, and wait for an acceptance letter (which can take a year or more). Because I write eBooks, that period is generally a matter of emailing the submission, and if I've worked with the publisher before, often two-three weeks or less for a response.

I now self publish, so my timeline has changed. I'll post about that another time. However, for the Last Vhalgenn, it took only days from the final edit to becoming available on Amazon.

For other aspects, this list may help put it in perspective.

  1. From germ of idea to concept: 6 weeks (average)
  2. Synopsis to first chapter: 7 days
  3. Book completed: 8 months (average)
  4. From the signing of the contract to the day of publication: 90 days.
  5. Pre-book promotion everywhere: 90 days
  6. Book release day excitement: off the scale.
  7. Contests, promos, chats, author days, etc.: everlasting
  8. Waiting for results of sales: 90 days (one quarter) plus 30 days for processing
  9. Hearing check is in the mail and waiting to receive it: eternity
  10. Getting the letter out of the mailbox and realizing this is the first royalty check: time stops
  11. Walking back to the house with the envelope in hand: one minute
  12. Showing it off to your spouse or partner: timeless
  13. Time it takes to spend: seconds
Care to add any steps I might have missed?
---
The Last Vhalgenn
Duty to king and country has shaped Raik's life since birth, but to protect them, she must perform a ritual that betrays all she holds sacred.
Kayelle Allen is a multi-published, award-winning author, and the founder of Marketing for Romance Writers. Her unstoppable heroes and heroines include contemporary characters, futuristic immortals, covert agents, and warriors who purr.
Unstoppable Heroes Blog http://kayelleallen.com/blog

3 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

What a great post, Kayelle - I kept seeing the MC advertisement in my mind, ending with "Priceless" :)

jean hart stewart said...

good for you, girl. I've never dared self-publish, but it sounds like you've got it conquered. My publishers takes all my stuff, but I wonder if self-publishing isn't more profitable...

Kayelle Allen said...

Thanks, Tina. Yeah that was in my mind too. ^_^

Jean, the profitability depends on several factors. The cost of editing, covers, and formatting are the author's. If the book makes enough to cover the investment, it's profitable. Sadly, it's a lot like dieting. If you eat less calories than you use, you lose weight. If you spend more money than you earn, you go broke. :)